Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Laptop / chrome book advice please…

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I’ve had an HP stream for about eight years now. It’s storage / memory has finally packed up, making it impossible to do anything on it including updates. I’m having to disc clean it every time I switch it on now. So it’s for the bin.

My requirements are simple.

I use a laptop for three purposes and that’s it.

Streaming films/TV,

NSC

and the occasional word document.

I don’t store photos or videos, I don’t use social media, I don’t game, I’ve no energy for onanism. So that’s it, just those three things.

It has to be cheap. I mean dead cheap. £100-£150 ideally.

Don’t mimd where it’s from.

Don’t mind second hand.

Should I go chrome book? I’ve heard good things for simpletons like me.

What say you NSC?

Thanks in advance.

I've bought a Chromebook and I'm happy with it. It does do a few things a bit odd but overall it's good

boik

I think I have decided to buy a Chrome book, as the screen quality etc on my 9 year old laptop is pretty poor but I’ll also hook the old one up to Linux so I have a back-up machine.

Thanks for all advice guys, really appreciate it as I’m very much not into tech, I just like to switch on and go.

Well, when you're ready to play with that old laptop, could do worse than starting here: https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Good afternoon! And what a lovely one it is.

Went into PC World in Brighton today and got an Asus something or other Chromebook.
I know some will turn their nose up and PC World, I totally get that. And it’s a vey cheap one. Costing just over £100 but it looks like it will do me fine. Only a 11.6” screen. But I can’t overstate how much I don’t care about tech. Getting a new laptop is about as exciting as getting new batteries for the telly remote to me.

And my old laptop is with my mate getting Linux installed.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks again for the advice and help. Much appreciated, as tech is unknown territory for me. So yeah, cheers all! Especially [MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION].

2CF1F9E9-1989-4F4C-B58B-00F509B67BC2.jpeg

Ready to go!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here