Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] January window

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
As for developing other sides youngsters, it seems German sides are very happy to take similar aged players from our top six (Sancho, Nelson, Ampadu, Nmecha, Sessegnon etc) and it doesn't seem to be doing them any harm.

well it depends. Sancho was, like Lamptey, bought as a teenager from a top 6 club (and then sold for a ridiculous profit!). Probably the Albion model here. (see southampton and Livramento also..take a punt but buy the player outright and promise em game time (see Sarmiento here too!)
Nelson, Ampadu, Sessegnon tho are all loans abroad for fringe squad players - fine for spurs, arsenal, chelsea etc but frustrating in the end for target club if like Sancho they have a transformational seasons and their value skyrockets. see leeds and Ben White here !

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Headline in The Argus yesterday was GP saying that we have recall options on some of our loaned players (this would apply to Zeqiri, but not Sima).

I womder who they might be? Jenks, I would hope - needs a better loan, or maybe half a season back in the fold here and a better loan next season. Maybe Caicedo if he is needed for cover. The rest of our loanees seem to be getting some decent game time now, albeit some had a slow start.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Locadia didn't make the 19 v Man City even with Welbeck injured and i doubt he'll be in the squad tomorrow.

He's made the bench in 3 of the last 6 Prem matches. That's 3 too many for me, although I take your point.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Striker options are totally woeful - cannot rely on Maupay to produce either - he needs serious competition for his place as he's a guaranteed starter at this rate which is never healthy

Well Maupay is a guaranteed starter right up to the point where he gets injured or red-carded. Then we're a bit fvcked really. Not that he was ever that prolific in the first place. Bottom line is the club's wilful refusal to invest in oven-ready EPL strikers - even if they do demand the going rate in EPL wages - will be the downfall of the club's EPL ambitions. Make Do And Mend is no way for a mature EPL club to go about its business. The game's moved on. Time to move with the, er, times. For sure it'll cost TB millions to get one or more fit-for-purpose EPL strikers in. But it'll cost him millions MORE to get dumped on his arse into the Championship

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Bottom line is the club's wilful refusal to invest in oven-ready EPL strikers - even if they do demand the going rate in EPL wages - will be the downfall of the club's EPL ambitions.

So when exactly is this inevitable downfall actually happening ?

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Nketiah won’t be going out on loan unless he signs a new contract, his current one expires in less than 9 months.

This is the player who’s salary demands made Palace wince, groan and then pull out in the summer. That’s Palace, a team prepared to spunk £75k+ pw on a striker (Edouard) who had never scored in a top league but still refused to pay Nketiah’s astonishing demands.

He is like Tammy Abraham, he wants a kings ransom before he has earned the right to wear the crown.

Another player who will never ever play for the Albion.

Thank God!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nketiah won’t be going out on loan unless he signs a new contract, his current one expires in less than 9 months.

This is the player who’s salary demands made Palace wince, groan and then pull out in the summer. That’s Palace, a team prepared to spunk £75k+ pw on a striker (Edouard) who had never scored in a top league but still refused to pay Nketiah’s astonishing demands.

He is like Tammy Abraham, he wants a kings ransom before he has earned the right to wear the crown.

Another player who will never ever play for the Albion.
How big a salary would you demand to play for palace?

Deal running down.
Massive signing on bonus just around the corner.

The last thing I'd want is for that to be hijacked by palace.

"Fine if you want me, it's gonna cost..."

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If you thought there was occasional Albion fans strife on transfers, take a look at:
https://thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/january-2022-transfer-window.42620/page-999

A few days ago, it appeared that they were signing:
Adama Traore - but he's now in Barca, having a medical for them.
Luis Diaz (brilliant Porto winger) - Levy was bartering over the fee, looks like he's now coming to the EPL to a rival willing to meet the asking price.

Supporters are furious.

Levy & Conte will now be forced to spend big in the next 4 days on second choices, to quell the anger.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here