NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Junior clubs are beginning to ban these small shin pads. Last weekend a referee ordered a boy off the pitch for not having adequate sized pads......in the same game my son's pad was cracked in half from a bad studs-up tackle.
I help coach the u13s at my local club and we don’t allow players to take part in training sessions or participate in matches if they turn up with these micro-shin guards, as part of our duty of care to the players themselves and to their parents.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I used to wear massive ones when I played, didn’t like being kicked very much. Went under your foot, had a hard bit on the ankle and almost went up the knee!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
During my years refereeing I saw some shocking injuries to players (men, women and boys) who WERE wearing proper shinpads - and not always as a result of really bad tackles either.

Professional clubs are setting an extremely bad example by allowing players to play without adequate protection.

If you are a parent and are allowing your child to play with "prawn crackers" for shinpads then you can look forward to many hours sat in A&E.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
If I was in charge at any club that had multi million pound footballers, getting paid tens of thousands of pounds a week wearing these "shin pads" I would immediately order them to wear a proper pair. They are not fit for purpose and little cuts, bruises and knocks that would be easily stopped could now mean a lay off and miss a match or two.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
He's only very young.
He'll learn.
As a wise man once said :
"The dildo of consequence rarely arrives lubricated."

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I used to wear massive ones when I played, didn’t like being kicked very much. Went under your foot, had a hard bit on the ankle and almost went up the knee!
I used to wear those a long time ago - the ones with the in-built ankle protector, that covered your ankle bone. To be honest those ARE quite restrictive to your movement (turning / twisting quickly) and I can see why they'd not be accepted by decent players. But anything that covers less than the majority of the front of your shin bone, seems foolish. And I just can't understand what additional perceived benefit there is in making it significantly smaller? :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here