Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] It's not just the Amex...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
legends and myths surround certain teams. Usually the ones that have had it too good for too long but others also. Once went to Sunderland v BHA at Roker Park and waited patiently for the famous Roker roar...... but it never materialised. Think teams like Newcastle, [I]Leeds[/I], Sheffield massive and many others would leave the likes of City, Man Utd and Liverpool behind if they enjoyed similar success.

The noise I heard when Leeds United equalised against us in May was the loudest I have ever heard at the 70 odd league clubs I've seen Albion play at.

All Leeds banter aside, it's one incredible atmosphere there. Awesome support.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
legends and myths surround certain teams. Usually the ones that have had it too good for too long but others also. Once went to Sunderland v BHA at Roker Park and waited patiently for the famous Roker roar...... but it never materialised. Think teams like Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield massive and many others would leave the likes of City, Man Utd and Liverpool behind if they enjoyed similar success.

Whenever I've been to St James' Park there's been moments when they've made a decent move and the crowd's gone absolutely electric. And then they lose the ball and the crowd revert to silence.

I don't doubt if they get ahead in a big game against the likes of Man City or whoever it's absolutely banging. But 10 years of assumed success will kill that for them just as it does for every "big" club.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Brilliant! Thanks for that memory - I was at the Darlington game but not sure about Wolves. Do you have the paper copy there?
In the photo, I'm struggling with Bobby Smith, back row 5th from the left...? Not THE Bobby Smith Shirley,was there another? And Alex Dawson is defo there and I thought he replaced Mr Smith...? help needed please!!

It's like Kerry Mayo - there were two!
This Bobby Smith was a tough-tackling midfielder. We signed him from Grimsby and then he left on a free transfer to Chester. Then he went into management for many years.
He had spent many years at Man Utd where he played over 200 games for the reserves, at the same as Stiles, Best, etc.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
What freaked me out was the cheers which became sudden silence, it was as though they had rehearsed and a planned end to specific chants and such. Not something I've witnessed before

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Liverpool v Rangers on the box tonight lacked atmosphere and the game was dull. No England/Scotland rivalry or any kind of battle. Run of the mill I thought.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
The Amex is up there with the worse atmosphere in the whole league. Leeds is probably the best.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
It's like Kerry Mayo - there were two!
This Bobby Smith was a tough-tackling midfielder. We signed him from Grimsby and then he left on a free transfer to Chester. Then he went into management for many years.
He had spent many years at Man Utd where he played over 200 games for the reserves, at the same as Stiles, Best, etc.

Thanks for that [MENTION=13579]AnotherArch[/MENTION] - I attended all home games then, but memory of the second Bobby Smith had faded away! Two Kerry Mayo's too... who'd a thought it:albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here