Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] India Visa

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Any got any experience of getting a tourist visa for India?

Unfortunately they've stopped allowing British passport holders applying for an e-visa (not sure why - Brexit maybe?).

From what I've read I will need to go to the embassy for a screening to get said visa. Having worked just up the road from the Indian embassy in the past this slightly concerns me as I would regularly see queues round the block of a lunch time.

So I guess my questions are:

If I have booked appointment at a set time am I likely to get seen at that time or do I just have to join the queue?
What is involved at the interview?
How long does the whole process start from start to finish?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Any got any experience of getting a tourist visa for India?

Unfortunately they've stopped allowing British passport holders applying for an e-visa (not sure why - Brexit maybe?).

From what I've read I will need to go to the embassy for a screening to get said visa. Having worked just up the road from the Indian embassy in the past this slightly concerns me as I would regularly see queues round the block of a lunch time.

So I guess my questions are:

If I have booked appointment at a set time am I likely to get seen at that time or do I just have to join the queue?
What is involved at the interview?
How long does the whole process start from start to finish?

No. Nothing is because of Brexit.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Ta, I've got a few months yet so there is no hurry at the moment. If my application is still sat pending review like it is currently in a month or so I'll give them a whirl.

I used an agent in the past to get an India visa- not really because I needed it quickly but it saved going the embassy for the day, queueing etc. they take all the hassle and just post you the passport back with the visa inside.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
Pre-covid you filled in the application form and attended the Visa office which was near the Barbican.

You handed in your passport and paid for the Visa and a secure postal delivery service. The Visa was then stuck in your passport.

Now things may have changed since Feb/March 2020, but that's how I did it for 5 or 6 years for a yearly visitor's Visa.

If you are going to India you have picked one of the best places in the world. Mad and fascinating.

TB

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Must be a seriously long time since I went to India as I remember getting to the embassy early in the morning to queue up and then coming back the next afternoon to pick it up.
The visa agencies did exactly the same but sent the office junior to queue up and presumably a modicum of baksheesh also involved.
The alternative was of course a postal application but a family friend had made that mistake some years before. After 3 months of waiting and chasing he was advised to come to the embassy where they did process it the same day, but only after he'd been left in a room containing a massive pile of passport applications for four hours while he searched for his one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here