Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm 'Team Hyypia' and proud of it, anyone else?

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Well yes, it was fact, but so was my Germany example. That doesn't mean it isn't a completely ridiculous way of looking at it. We only pissed League 1 a few years ago because 23 other teams messed it up.

Germany succeeded didn't they ffs, We didn't that's fact.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
That performance was shambolic, from the first whistle Middlesboro's tactics were to bully our most skilful player and with the usual amount of protection offered by D'urso succeeded in their plan. I am not saying they didn't deserve to win because they very much did they were more organised and throughout showed superior control and always had an "outball" with players finding space to receive a ball with time to retain possession. I have always been in the Sami in camp and remain so even after the first few games when the tactics employed by him seemed naive in regards defensive position (full backs rampaging forward at the expense of their defensive duties) but many more performances like that where the players bottle their jobs are going to see me wavering. I am not a bedwetter or a butt licker just a loyal supporter and in my opinion the captain has got to use his authority on the pitch and demand commitment from his team much more so than what was given yesterday by the majority of the side they were like boys against men and that is unacceptable. If the team give their all on the pitch and get beaten then i will accept that and move on to the next game. Right from the start the larger stature of the boro team was apparent and our midfield need to grow a pair, if not, then we will have to get bigger players in to match the sizes of the other teams. Overall a very frustrating performance after really looking forward to the league resumption throughout the international break. Where Sami goes from here who knows i certainly don't.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
2 years!!! Really? Lay off. I'm sure he's a lovely guy but how can you defend his tactics? I agree now is too soon, but he has to change and adapt to one on the most competitive leagues out there. The players need to fear for their positions week in week out. Manage by fear in football. Look at the most successful gaffas out there, players feared them!

Gus and Oscar were tactically appalling. They both believed their system should work and if it didn't there was no planB. It was strategy rather than tactics.

Tactically I think Sami is prepared to change things during a match. Something Gus and Oscar never did. I lost count of the pointless like for like substituions too late in the game, that Gus and Oscar were both guilty of.

Sami wants us to play attacking football at home. Again something which has been lacking under the previous management.
This is not yet his team and he has not had the time to get the system right. I think he deserves the time to make it work, because it is a style of play that I want to see us develop.

One of the other main improvements is we now score from corners now! :thumbsup:
Maybe we should get the forwards to play for corners rather than shoot at goal. :cool:

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
I have been solidly behind Sami but thought he messed up with the substitution yesterday. Putting JFC in front of the back 2 in place of Holla left a massive space for the second goal and then he seemed to swap JFC for Gardiner. Strange one!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Either Sami hasn't got a clue or a lot of the player's haven't------I'm 50/50 at the mo.
After another two weeks to drill the player's how he wants to play I'd say Sami's day's are numbered.
Burke should start clearing his desk as well.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
He believes in his way which is fine . On reflection would of Preferred a manager to of come in who didn't make wholesale changes to the system . Didn't particularly need it .

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
NSC makes me laugh; but it's not just NSC, is it? The Argus comments and even just listening to fans at matches... People have no idea. Moaning at Bloom, moaning about Hyypia, moaning about the price of pies or queue to buy a beer at our swish, brand new all seater stadium IN BRIGHTON. When I was a kid we went to the dilapidated Goldstone, the club was going out of business. We moved to Gillingham for ****s sake; I watched the worst game of football in my life (Doncaster 0-0) with Michael Mahoney-Johnson up front.

Fast forward, we're 19th in League One, we're playing at an athletics ground and untried new manager Gus Poyet has just been appointed. We are fighting to avoid relegation to league 2 and paying (fairly) similar prices to sit 50 yards from the pitch. In the rain. With no roof. The players were training on a university pitch.

We reach the playoffs two seasons running despite having a fraction of the budget of some clubs, and changing managers in the second season.

And people have the bloody nerve to talk about "worst Albion performance ever" losing 2-1 to a very good Middlesborough side, in the Championship. Spending £1m on a goalkeeper. Remember Mark Bloody Walton?!

I can only assume most Albion fans are JCL's, teenagers or have very short memories. With some of the abuse he gets, I wonder what's stopping Bloom from calling in all his debts, sticking two fingers up and letting and the club go down the toilet. THEN maybe people will get a sense of perspective.

So, the jist of your argument is that. We can't complain because we were once in the dumps with no pot to piss in? That's not a legitimate argument.

We have a brand new stadium, that's a costly stadium. With performances being awful, the crowds dwindle. Finance doesn't give two shits about where Brighton was 20-30 years ago.

We cannot afford to have dwindling crowds, we cannot afford relegation. We need results, we don't necessarily need another promotion attempt via play offs, but stabilising. Hyypia isn't that. We run risk of paying high prices for mediocre football in a stadium below 80% capacity, that's not financially viable. How much more money can we force Bloom to subsidise?

It's not about history, it's about our future; without a positive change now, it's not a particularly joyful one. It maybe orange with our fancy new 3rd kit, mind.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
NSC makes me laugh; but it's not just NSC, is it? The Argus comments and even just listening to fans at matches... People have no idea. Moaning at Bloom, moaning about Hyypia, moaning about the price of pies or queue to buy a beer at our swish, brand new all seater stadium IN BRIGHTON. When I was a kid we went to the dilapidated Goldstone, the club was going out of business. We moved to Gillingham for ****s sake; I watched the worst game of football in my life (Doncaster 0-0) with Michael Mahoney-Johnson up front.

Fast forward, we're 19th in League One, we're playing at an athletics ground and untried new manager Gus Poyet has just been appointed. We are fighting to avoid relegation to league 2 and paying (fairly) similar prices to sit 50 yards from the pitch. In the rain. With no roof. The players were training on a university pitch.

We reach the playoffs two seasons running despite having a fraction of the budget of some clubs, and changing managers in the second season.

And people have the bloody nerve to talk about "worst Albion performance ever" losing 2-1 to a very good Middlesborough side, in the Championship. Spending £1m on a goalkeeper. Remember Mark Bloody Walton?!

I can only assume most Albion fans are JCL's, teenagers or have very short memories. With some of the abuse he gets, I wonder what's stopping Bloom from calling in all his debts, sticking two fingers up and letting and the club go down the toilet. THEN maybe people will get a sense of perspective.

Here we go again. Harking back to Gillingham and Withdean. History. We could and should be doing better than we are now. So stop living in the past.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Here we go again. Harking back to Gillingham and Withdean. History. We could and should be doing better than we are now. So stop living in the past.

I get so fed up with it. I'd say 90% of the posters on here know their history just fine. I was watching Ward / Grealish / Robinson / Nelson when he wasn't even a night out at the local French place.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Gus and Oscar were tactically appalling. They both believed their system should work and if it didn't there was no planB. It was strategy rather than tactics.

Tactically I think Sami is prepared to change things during a match. Something Gus and Oscar never did. I lost count of the pointless like for like substituions too late in the game, that Gus and Oscar were both guilty of.

Sami wants us to play attacking football at home. Again something which has been lacking under the previous management.
This is not yet his team and he has not had the time to get the system right. I think he deserves the time to make it work, because it is a style of play that I want to see us develop.

One of the other main improvements is we now score from corners now! :thumbsup:
Maybe we should get the forwards to play for corners rather than shoot at goal. :cool:

Not sure I could disagree more.
When has Hyypia changed things during a game? Players yes, but style? It has always been the same, full backs pushed on, midfield covering and two number 10 type players behind a front man.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
lol yeah showed in the play-offs how good we were, the statement was fact.

You are obviously forgetting the fact that by the time of the second leg our squad was finally crippled because we didn't act in the January transfer window. If we had been playing with Grabban and Conway instead of Buckley and Orlandi, it would have been a completely different story.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey

You are not the only one who witnessed all of the above. However the game and the club have moved on from the dark days and our expectation levels have increased and we don't want to see the club go backwards.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
You are not the only one who witnessed all of the above. However the game and the club have moved on from the dark days and our expectation levels have increased and we don't want to see the club go backwards.

I don't accept that a simple change of manager, given the ability of the current playing staff, will turn this team into one which can reach the playoffs as per the last two seasons when we were already overachieving - for my money.

Sorry that was a horrible run-on sentence, but I'm too tired to fix it...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here