Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If Potter Were To Leave . . .

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Emma Hayes on being linked previously with the AFC Wimbledon job.
"I don't know why anyone would think women's football is a step down [in comparison to men]. The football world needs to wake up. While the game is played by a different gender, it's exactly the same sport."

If you genuinely can't see why its a different sport and you genuinely can't see why women's football is a step down (in quality, finances, media coverage, speed, strength, skill, fan base, crowds, transfer fees, wages, history number of participants, competitiveness etc) then I would suggest you are not qualified to manage at any serious level in the men's game. I have no problem with women's football but as it stands at the moment it is NOT the equal of men's football.

Well I'd argue that its exactly the same sport. Same pitch, same rules, same ball shape, same team setups.

However, the level of which the sport is played, is a totally different argument.

Like would the Shoreham Town club coach be any good in the PL, to which the response is, no, because it is a totally different sport. Doesn't make sense imo. The sport is the same, just played at higher levels

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
"I don't know why anyone would think women's football is a step down [in comparison to men]. The football world needs to wake up. While the game is played by a different gender, it's exactly the same sport."

If you genuinely can't see why its a different sport and you genuinely can't see why women's football is a step down (in quality, finances, media coverage, speed, strength, skill, fan base, crowds, transfer fees, wages, history number of participants, competitiveness etc) then I would suggest you are not qualified to manage at any serious level in the men's game. I have no problem with women's football but as it stands at the moment it is NOT the equal of men's football.

Of that list the only items referring to the game as a sport are, speed, strength and skill - all the rest are peripheral attributes.

As any manager coming in wouldn’t normally be expected to play but rather manage then I don’t see how any difference there may be between the men’s and women’s games in terms of speed strength and skill would define the gender of a manager.

boik

Well I'd argue that its exactly the same sport. Same pitch, same rules, same ball shape, same team setups.

However, the level of which the sport is played, is a totally different argument.

Like would the Shoreham Town club coach be any good in the PL, to which the response is, no, because it is a totally different sport. Doesn't make sense imo. The sport is the same, just played at higher levels

Or someone coming from the Swedish 4th tier to the PL?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Manchester Utd women’s team got thrashed by Salford youth 9-0 that’s how huge the gap is. I tried to watch Chelsea v Brighton ladies one Saturday morning it was shit, obviously some enjoy it fair play.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Manchester Utd women’s team got thrashed by Salford youth 9-0 that’s how huge the gap is. I tried to watch Chelsea v Brighton ladies one Saturday morning it was shit, obviously some enjoy it fair play.

A Man U team cobbled together just two weeks prior to the match - the result was obviously down to the gender of the MU manager :facepalm:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

It’s clearly not the equal……...but it’s also clearly the ‘same sport’. The primary differentiators are physical - size/strength/speed, plus the degree of evolution of the sport. The standard in the women’s game is increasing rapidly (from a low base admittedly) but there won’t be a time (at least I can’t see it) when the top women’s teams can compete with the top men’s teams on the pitch because of the physical attributes - like very many other sports . All the peripheral stuff you mention like media coverage etc isn’t really relevant to coaching ability though (there are some quite interesting nuances that arise in managing a female team compared to a men’s team however)

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Yes clearly men's and women's football are both the same genre of sport (football) but they are not the same type of football. A Bugatti Veyron and a Robin Reliant are both cars. If you race a Robin Reliant (and that's all you have ever raced) does that qualify you to race a Veyron because they are both cars? In the truest sense of the word 'sport', men's and women's football are different sports in my opinion. One definition of sport is 'an activity involving physical exertion and skill'. The level of physical exertion and skill levels are different between men's and women's football I would argue.
Some things are not equal, they are different and there is nothing wrong with that.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
A Man U team cobbled together just two weeks prior to the match - the result was obviously down to the gender of the MU manager :facepalm:
I have no idea why you took offence to the post :shrug: it’s not the first time youth teams have well beaten female pro sides. My point was more about the gulf in class and physicality.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes clearly men's and women's football are both the same genre of sport (football) but they are not the same type of football. A Bugatti Veyron and a Robin Reliant are both cars. If you race a Robin Reliant (and that's all you have ever raced) does that qualify you to race a Veyron because they are both cars? In the truest sense of the word 'sport', men's and women's football are different sports in my opinion. One definition of sport is 'an activity involving physical exertion and skill'. The level of physical exertion and skill levels are different between men's and women's football I would argue.
Some things are not equal, they are different and there is nothing wrong with that.

Not sure the physical exertion is any different at all. The physical output is though. Both the Veyron and Robin can be floored.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I have no idea why you took offence to the post :shrug: it’s not the first time youth teams have well beaten female pro sides. My point was more about the gulf in class and physicality.

No argument there but I am still struggling with the link between a women team’s results and the gender of the manager. After all the manager of the Man U ladies is a man.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Absolutely no reason why we (well, Uncle Tony, not 'we') shouldn't appoint a female manager, none at all, if she appears to be the best person for the job. For a rather more than middle aged man like me, it would probably take a sharp intake of breath - but fair enough, let's get behind her and see how she does (if we were looking at the second relegation in two seasons, I'd still reserve the right to boo and shout, 'xxxxx out').
If on the other hand, it's a case of 'there isn't a single woman manager in the PL or the EFL and there jolly well ought to be - and as we're next in line for a new manager it had better be us' - then I'm out!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If Potter left I'd put my £10 on Felice Mazzu taking over.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm just being honest here. If BHA appointed a woman manager, I would absolutely lose my shit.

Sorry.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Many are missing the point that Emma Hayes is trying to make.

She is talking about football management and how a woman could manage a mens team, not play against one.

As long as the manager could get the respect of the squad and was armed with sufficient tactical ability, then what difference would the lack of a penis make?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here