Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] How do you feel about spending at the moment?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
My poor health means our income has reduced considerably. We have cut our cloth accordingly. Sold one of our two cars as I am no longer allowed to drive. We are going out at weekends again now Covid is less life and death but it is cheaper up here anyway. A few weekends away in North Wales have replaced more exotic and expensive foreign holidays. We haven’t renewed our Albion season tickets because I can’t travel far and that saving with associated travel etc savings more than offsets the energy price rises. Overall we are quite lucky to be able to make these financial adjustments.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
My poor health means our income has reduced considerably. We have cut our cloth accordingly. Sold one of our two cars as I am no longer allowed to drive. We are going out at weekends again now Covid is less life and death but it is cheaper up here anyway. A few weekends away in North Wales have replaced more exotic and expensive foreign holidays. We haven’t renewed our Albion season tickets because I can’t travel far and that saving with associated travel etc savings more than offsets the energy price rises. Overall we are quite lucky to be able to make these financial adjustments.

Wise words - stay well...!

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Luckily the wife and I retired early on good pensions and a property portfolio of rentals that helps on the income side. Still won't spend silly sums for unnecessary things and are fortunate having invested in triple glazing and cavity wall insulation, managing to keep our energy bills down (keating was only required for 3 days this winter largely due to the climate being so mild).

Use the car less and tend to now do the same old holiday to our holiday home in Spain which keeps costs down. We've even ditched Sky recently, and it's amazing how easy it is to cope without such things which we had become complacent in letting drift on for several years. Not a big spender on too many luxuries so that helps and the wife is very good in the kitchen working up amazing meals from seemingly very little. Since the kids moved out our food bill has dropped considerably.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Luckily the wife and I retired early on good pensions and a property portfolio of rentals that helps on the income side. Still won't spend silly sums for unnecessary things and are fortunate having invested in triple glazing and cavity wall insulation, managing to keep our energy bills down (keating was only required for 3 days this winter largely due to the climate being so mild).

Use the car less and tend to now do the same old holiday to our holiday home in Spain which keeps costs down. We've even ditched Sky recently, and it's amazing how easy it is to cope without such things which we had become complacent in letting drift on for several years. Not a big spender on too many luxuries so that helps and the wife is very good in the kitchen working up amazing meals from seemingly very little. Since the kids moved out our food bill has dropped considerably.

Oh! Captain! My captain!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think he is way off beam on this one.:D
According to the Sunday Times, we may see some action on fuel duty in the Chancellor’s Spring Statement, but I’m not holding my breath for anything too cheerful.

Although personally we wouldn't benefit, I'd rather all state financial assistance (by whatever means) was directed to those in most need. Making it more affordable for the state too, rather than blanket policies benefitting 68m folk.

There are swathes of well off people in this country, who do not requirie state help with domestic fuel, car fuel, groceries, etc to survive.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

Property portfolio and holiday home in Spain? Wow you really are feeling the pinch.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Although personally we wouldn't benefit, I'd rather all state financial assistance (by whatever means) was directed to those in most need. Making it more affordable for the state too, rather than blanket policies benefitting 68m folk.

There are swathes of well off people in this country, who do not requirie state help with domestic fuel, car fuel, groceries, etc to survive.

Indeed there are and one can’t help thinking of the winter fuel bung for well off pensioners as an example, but politics being politics and all that.
At least a cut in fuel duty would benefit industry and hopefully do something to keep transport costs down and hence limit a few price rises in essentials like food.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Property portfolio and holiday home in Spain? Wow you really are feeling the pinch.
Don't forget the good pensions.[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
An NSC Classic.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Don't have much choice with heating oil, difficult to get and very expensive, not wearing a hat indoors.....yet

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The whole energy price thing is political. This gov will let the average punter feel the pain for a few months then just watch toady announce a deal with Saudi that ‘halves’ household energy bills and takes 30p a litre off at the pumps, of course prices will still be higher than they were at Xmas but the dipshit masses will swallow the BS as usual.
Quite probably Bollox.
Esp as the headline isn't:-

'Lady Di's legacy, to be cheaper fuel, mortgages and sunshine'.

But nevertheless would anyone actually be surprised by the move?

FOXFfB-XsAITBqJ.jpeg

I'm guessing a massive reduction in train and bus fairs as well as promotion of active travel will also be included in the package.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Quite probably Bollox.
Esp as the headline isn't:-

'Lady Di's legacy, to be cheaper fuel, mortgages and sunshine'.

But nevertheless would anyone actually be surprised by the move?

View attachment 146224

I'm guessing a massive reduction in train and bus fairs as well as promotion of active travel will also be included in the package.

And on the same page, Kate shaking maracas on a royal tour of the Caribbean. Suck it up from folks.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I am lucky enough to not be struggling, but I am definitely feeling the squeeze. Petrol is a huge cost, which used to be handsomely recompensed by the miles I need to do for work. However at current prices, the work mileage claim barely covers the fuel used. Electric cars have never seemed so tempting. Supermarket shopping seems to get more expensive every week

I can't recall who posted it, but active travel has to be a part of the government's solution - anything to reduce our dependence on other countries for energy,

I guess everybody has different spending priorities, but we have not had a 'luxury' (i.e. overseas) holiday in 4 years, and I certainly cannot imagine having one in the near-future. However, a lot of people seem to still see overseas holidays as an 'essential'.

Like others, I am taking the view that I will only spend on things I need, aside from the occasional takeaway/meal out (which is something I am guilty of).

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
To paraphrase the late, great Humphrey Littleton, I'm cutting back by no longer paying to refrigerate my champagne. What's the point when it's only going in the bath..?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I am lucky enough to not be struggling, but I am definitely feeling the squeeze. Petrol is a huge cost, which used to be handsomely recompensed by the miles I need to do for work. However at current prices, the work mileage claim barely covers the fuel used. Electric cars have never seemed so tempting. Supermarket shopping seems to get more expensive every week

I can't recall who posted it, but active travel has to be a part of the government's solution - anything to reduce our dependence on other countries for energy,

I guess everybody has different spending priorities, but we have not had a 'luxury' (i.e. overseas) holiday in 4 years, and I certainly cannot imagine having one in the near-future. However, a lot of people seem to still see overseas holidays as an 'essential'.

Like others, I am taking the view that I will only spend on things I need, aside from the occasional takeaway/meal out (which is something I am guilty of).

Same boat thankfully . . . nothing to complain about, or we can do anything about. The investment in our home seems all the more justified, we're not going anywhere. extremely lucky to live somewhere as nice as we do . . . and thankfully not a war zone . . .just yet!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here