Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Holidays abroad ....my bucket list

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Philippines is the most underrated destination on earth. I would like to say it's great its unspoilt and ramshackle, but I am not an self indulgent idiot and I want the Filipinos to do well from it.

Did 100 Islands earlier in 2014, fantastic, even before you start flying off Luzon there are still fantastic places within a day's drive of Manila. As I am sure you know!

Yeah it most definitely is. They do have very nationalistic business rules there, so I don't think the paradise areas will be spoilt by foreign big-business investment anytime in the near future. Yep Luzon is also full of wonders. Planning to motorbike around Northern Luzon this year with my partner. She has family up in ilocos norte.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Whats wrong with Majorca or Costa Brava? Sunday roasts or a full English in the sun.

That is exactly what's wrong with resorts that cater to the English. Fortunately there are plenty of areas that aren't "little Britain" too. Both great places if you avoid the Brits :smile:

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What about flying 10 hours or more to the middle of the desert just to stick coins in slots, play cards and pay over the top to watch fat ugly people enjoying second rate pastiches of the rest of the world?

......and Championship footballers playing at being Premiership footballers.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
What about flying 10 hours or more to the middle of the desert just to stick coins in slots, play cards and pay over the top to watch fat ugly people enjoying second rate pastiches of the rest of the world?

Not my top holiday destination either, but at least you admit that the fat, ugly people are still enjoying themselves.

I bet you're a blast to go on holiday with...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not my top holiday destination either, but at least you admit that the fat, ugly people are still enjoying themselves.

I bet you're a blast to go on holiday with...

I was more amused at the irony of someone called "Vegas Seagull" stating you only had to fly for a couple of hours for an outstanding holiday. I can see the attractions of Vegas for some but I'm fairly confident I could play poker, lose money in rigged slot machines, buy some pussy and eat terrible "Italian" food without ever leaving Portslade.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I am sure there are places in Pyongyang you can get great kimchi and see funny old Soviet era limos. And by God they give the Americans a pain in the arse. Doesnt stop them making their populations life a total misery though.

I know someone who went to Pyongyang. Said it was incredible, and eery at the same time. You're always being monitored as you're on a state tour and one wrong move and they'll throw you out/stick you in a detention centre. I would love to go one day there myself.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Went to India many times in the 90's and travelled all over the place (except Rajastan which I would still like to visit) and found it to be a magical place and one of my favourite countries on earth and believe me I have travelled quite a bit. It is certainly still a place people go to to find themselves, the Taj Mahal is a place everybody should visit. Luckily my first trip in 1991 was with Butterfield Tours (now closed) and we travelled everywhere by train and lived in a railway carriage they owned. We started in Delhi on to Aggra (Taj Mahal) up to Rishikesh where the Beatles went in their heyday back down through Lucknow, Varanasi, Nagpur (the Crewe of India), Hyderabad, Bangalore, Mysore (highly recommended), Kerala finshing in Cochin. Met a stunning Indian girl at the Taj which lead to a couple of visits to her town north of Calcutta. Played cricket with a load of guys who played for West Bengal, got roped in to do some street acting in front of something like 10,000 people and made friends everywhere. Spoke to many travellers who had never had a problem or felt threatened. Yes you will get hassled by beggars but just keep a pocket of small change and share it about, even beggars have to eat. Ended up by spending a week in Goa watching the sun set over the Arabian Sea. Go enjoy yourself you won't regret it. (Apologies for still calling places by their former names)

What a delightful post. I love India too.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I know someone who went to Pyongyang. Said it was incredible, and eery at the same time. You're always being monitored as you're on a state tour and one wrong move and they'll throw you out/stick you in a detention centre. I would love to go one day there myself.

A friend of a friend was also in North Korea working for a charity with hungry children. Not so much fun apparently.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Some good posts here. Might be mistaken, but don't think anyone has actually addressed the issue of OPs additional charges. Having just booked BA to Singapore, found they add 'carrier imposed charge' of £266. This is steeped in mystery; ostensibly to do with fuel surcharge but since oil is now at $60 or so PB, difficult to see how his can be....BA also charge £40 pp per way to reserve your seat now. Getting rather like Ryan Air.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here