Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gove OUT in cabinet reshuffle

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I wouldn't put my house on a Labour majority but the Tories didn't win the last election so I see no way they can win the next one

Agree with this. But also the point made about Miliband. We are heading for another hung parliament in my view. It's who carries the balance this time. I've said for a long while and still believe that however ridiculed, the Lib Dems will still have a big part to play. The tories have made this reshuffle for a reason. They want to make their offer clear while not looking like the nasty party and including more women. It's a cynical move but it's all thye've got and I think the right move. Labour need to respond now. Is Miliband up to it? But of course it will be the role UKIP play that will be most interesting. Funny that Hammond's first comments on becoming foreign secretary were about how he was confident on renegotiating the position on Europe,

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Funny that Hammond's first comments on becoming foreign secretary were about how he was confident on renegotiating the position on Europe,

Is he serious? Cameron has royally ****ed up any chance of this happening with his recent embarrassing failures at negotiation.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Is he serious? Cameron has royally ****ed up any chance of this happening with his recent embarrassing failures at negotiation.

Agree entirely. But it shows where the Tories are coming from. Theyve nothing left in the locker on Europe other than bringing in someone new to repeat the same message and hopefully make it work. Hamond is no Mo Mowlam either, let's face it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Still waiting for you to back up your assertion that the majority of teachers are 'stupid'.

It does seem plausible that the teachers Uncle C has encountered during childhood were stupid. Perhaps he is putting himself forward as evidence?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Probably because that is the thing they feel they can most legitimately protest about - that and workload, amount of paperwork to be filled in and so on. The rest is about ideology and policy, which is probably best tackled by other means, but they can not refuse to carry out government policy etc etc..

I am going to suggest it is more about media focus and poor PR. In Australia we went on strike a couple of years ago. Most teachers I know went on strike about diminishing budgets, poor allocation of funds and other issue that directly effected our ability to learn. However all media coverage was focused on pay and conditions. This of course did a bang up job of eroding public support for our cause and gave the likes of Uncle C and his ilk the ill informed ammunition they crave. Personally I left the union after this as I felt they did a piss poor PR job and allowed my position to be misrepresented.

I don't know if this is the same in UK but I thought it worth a mention.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I am going to suggest it is more about media focus and poor PR. In Australia we went on strike a couple of years ago. Most teachers I know went on strike about diminishing budgets, poor allocation of funds and other issue that directly effected our ability to learn. However all media coverage was focused on pay and conditions. This of course did a bang up job of eroding public support for our cause and gave the likes of Uncle C and his ilk the ill informed ammunition they crave. Personally I left the union after this as I felt they did a piss poor PR job and allowed my position to be misrepresented.

I don't know if this is the same in UK but I thought it worth a mention.

Thanks - interesting. It does sometimes seem to me, as a trade union supporter and member (but not a teacher) that sometimes some teachers themselves are their own worst enemies in this respect.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
With respect to the reshuffle it is interesting to see all the old guard being cleansed from the Cabinet & Government, wonder why that is ?

In terms of Gove and his replacement, she is unlikely to change much - if anything - that he did, and could be worse, just less nasty.

The other day Cameron said: "I am simply not prepared to be a prime minister who has to address the people after a terrorist incident and explain that I could have done more to prevent it."

Then why did he vote for the Iraq War, the aggression against Libya and destabilisation of Syria? There are now more terrorists than ever thanks to policies he has advocated.

As for Gove, Gradgrind on steroids.

Will be happy when the entire loathsome lot disappears.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here