Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Goring Gap High Court challenge today

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
At a macro scale.

There are 268,000 long term empty homes.
https://www.actiononemptyhomes.org/facts-and-figures

Shelter say we need to build 3,100,000 new homes.
https://england.shelter.org.uk/support_us/campaigns/a_vision_for_social_housing

The UK’s population in 1997 was 58m, now its 67m. Housing supply has been woefully inadequate.

Something’s got to give, now.

[I have no knowledge of Goring Gap btw].

A big part of the problem is the density of population in the south east. If businesses and industry looked north at all that cheap land/space it would surely creat affluence and appeal?

The only reason most of us can afford to live here is because we've been here all our lives and/or before it all got silly price wise.

FWLIW, I like to see a gap between towns/villages, but whats proposed there seems like paradise compared to the shit being built in Shoreham, god knows what all these new people witl do for school/Dr's work etc. and presumably they will be teleported as they won't be driving anywhere in a hurry.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
depressing. where will the younger generation find homes?

Would "somewhere near where you live" be an out of order statement?

I moved from central Brighton to what was a small village over 30 years ago. It's now unrecognisable and really busy with buses and artics up and down the small lanes. I do not want another 475 houses behind my house which currently has a nice field and a noisy jammed A259 as a view. Enough is enough for me, and yes I do realise it's nimbyism

I have absolutely no doubt permission will eventually be granted but hopefully for a lot fewer houses when it does happen.

Last edited:

Jul 7, 2003

Plenty of other more suitable places around the south of England than this. The issue is that the government targets around housebuilding have no consideration of the area - they are just numbers someone came up with. In a narrow strip between the sea and the downs, Worthing already has less green space than almost any other town in the country.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

I moved from central Brighton to what was a small village over 30 years ago. It's now unrecognisable and really busy with buses and artics up and down the small lanes. I do not want another 475 houses behind my house which currently has a nice field and a noisy jammed A259 as a view. Enough is enough for me, and yes I do realise it's nimbyism

more than happy for nearby developments, no objections from me to those built recently or proposed.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A big part of the problem is the density of population in the south east. If businesses and industry looked north at all that cheap land/space it would surely creat affluence and appeal?

The only reason most of us can afford to live here is because we've been here all our lives and/or before it all got silly price wise.

FWLIW, I like to see a gap between towns/villages, but whats proposed there seems like paradise compared to the shit being built in Shoreham, god knows what all these new people witl do for school/Dr's work etc. and presumably they will be teleported as they won't be driving anywhere in a hurry.

Yep. Whatever people say, Shoreham is being absolutely trashed. How it’s being allowed to happen is a tragedy. We will look back and regret what we allowed to happen to that beautiful town.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

I have absolutely no doubt permission will eventually be granted but hopefully for a lot fewer houses when it does happen.

All those objectors now need to show there is a use for this . If it just stays as an overgrown field they will get permission

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Younger generation? These homes were to be built in Worthing; young people wouldn’t have been buying them.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018

Yep - my brother in law lives in Grantham and is looking for a new job and seems destined to have to commute to London even though he spends 100% of his working time on a computer, which seems to make no sense to me. Meanwhile far more enlightened, a company I work with is selling their London office and creating a handful of small "regional hubs" around the country because homeworking has been so successful they've made it permanent and not only are they now recruiting from all over the country which benefits them massively, they've also got loads of staff, especially the younger ones, choosing to relocate out of their shared houses in the London suburbs and into cheaper towns and cities where they can buy their own flat or house - it's totally life changing. The hubs will be there if people want them and for meetings best done in person or with clients but they don't think they'll get more than 25% uptake at any one time. Moving out of London would be so good for so many businesses and their employees and doesn't have to mean relocating everyone or starting all over again.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Younger generation? These homes were to be built in Worthing; young people wouldn’t have been buying them.

a fair point. asking sympathy for the middle aged 2nd/3rd home owner doesnt have the same energy.

funny thing is 30 years ago someone wanted to move to a "village" :)lol:) outside Worthing, and could because the previous generation had allowed lots of building. now a field bordered by housing on three sides and a main road has to be kept as a sacred "gap". i hope the owner switches to pig farming.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Meanwhile far more enlightened, a company I work with is selling their London office and creating a handful of small "regional hubs" around the country because homeworking has been so successful they've made it permanent and not only are they now recruiting from all over the country which benefits them massively, they've also got loads of staff, especially the younger ones, choosing to relocate out of their shared houses in the London suburbs and into cheaper towns and cities where they can buy their own flat or house - it's totally life changing. The hubs will be there if people want them and for meetings best done in person or with clients but they don't think they'll get more than 25% uptake at any one time.

About 25/30 years ago, I wrote an article for a business magazine. It was part of a series from various luminaries and gurus (and me) to predict what working life would be like in 2030 (I think that was the year). My piece centred on the establishment of regional hubs such as you describe, except that these were generic hubs and not exclusive to one business.

The idea would be that remote workers from, say, NatWest, Aviva, Ladbrokes, etc would be based in the same office, sharing some common faculties but whose business links and services are kept separate. I still think we'll see something similar.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
All those objectors now need to show there is a use for this . If it just stays as an overgrown field they will get permission

Seeing as Persimmon own the fields that could be a challenge!

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
Yep. Whatever people say, Shoreham is being absolutely trashed. How it’s being allowed to happen is a tragedy. We will look back and regret what we allowed to happen to that beautiful town.

I moved out of Shoreham about 25 years ago. I have been back about 10 times since then, last time 2 years ago and it astounds me what they have done with it. No wonder some poster said on here that in Greenachas is outside the catchment area of Kings Manor school.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
About 25/30 years ago, I wrote an article for a business magazine. It was part of a series from various luminaries and gurus (and me) to predict what working life would be like in 2030 (I think that was the year). My piece centred on the establishment of regional hubs such as you describe, except that these were generic hubs and not exclusive to one business.

The idea would be that remote workers from, say, NatWest, Aviva, Ladbrokes, etc would be based in the same office, sharing some common faculties but whose business links and services are kept separate. I still think we'll see something similar.

About 10 years ago I worked for Capita ( yes, I know, boo hiss ) and I was responsible for the Wide Area Network. Every month I had to cancel loads of circuits to various sites as Capita stopped using them and moved staff to WFH or 'shared office space'. A good example was ( probably still is ) the Beehive in Crawley with a number of companies all sharing office space and onsite services. So well predicted :thumbsup: Well ahead of your time.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
a fair point. asking sympathy for the middle aged 2nd/3rd home owner doesnt have the same energy.

funny thing is 30 years ago someone wanted to move to a "village" :)lol:) outside Worthing, and could because the previous generation had allowed lots of building. now a field bordered by housing on three sides and a main road has to be kept as a sacred "gap". i hope the owner switches to pig farming.

Clueless, doubt you even know the area and if you do you wouldn’t give a thought to the impact on the area, you don’t live there. 475 houses is a fecking estate

Pig Farm? You are coming across as a nasty piece of work, I’ll give up responding to you

Last edited:

Vaughan Storm

May 21, 2020
Worthing

Thank god for that, I live nearby and I don't think a lot of people here haven't seen the plans or know the area, another roundabout would be added making it 3 in quick succession, no through roads, no new infrastructure and clearly plenty of extra traffic, it would take a good 10 mins I bet just to get through that road and would cause plenty of congestion at the railway crossing in ferring as people look for other routes, chancers persimmon

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Thank god for that, I live nearby and I don't think a lot of people here have seen the plans or know the area, another roundabout would be added making it 3 in quick succession, no through roads, no new infrastructure and clearly plenty of extra traffic, it would take a good 10 mins I bet just to get through that road and would cause plenty of congestion at the railway crossing in ferring as people look for other routes, chancers persimmon

How has the housing estate on the old Worthing college affected things ? I go through at rush hour once a week and it seems bad anyway but isn’t as bad as I had expected given it’s a single narrow road out into a small roundabout by the bridge. That was over a 100 houses was it not ?

Anyway glad that the wonderful green space is going to still be available for everyone to use *nb as someone who lived on Goring Way for 6 years and never stepped foot on that wonderful green space

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Breaking News

Apparently the Court of Appeal has found in Worthing Borough Council’s favour and dismissed Persimmon’s latest appeal. That’s it for a while now and Lansdown Nursery and Highdown Vineyard are unlikely to appeal Arun’s refusal of their application to build houses there too.

England need to take a leaf out of Spain’s book. I believe that these days Infrastructure has to be in place before a brick can be laid to build a house once planning permission is approved. Good luck with that around Chatsmore Farm…it wouldn’t happen

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here