Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] GOAL music...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I hate all artificial stimuli when a goal is scored - goal music, bubbles (!!!) and also giant flags behind the goals when the home team scores (Arsenal)

It's akin to TV and theatre audiences being shown an "applause" or "clap" prompt. It should be purely organic.

(Oh and @PeterT totally agree re: Sweet Caroline and that even worse "so good, so good, so good" added to make it even more cringe - as the kids say these days)
TBH one of my favourite things about VAR and it's penchant for ruling goals out is seeing all that happen then the goal being taken away again

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
It was interesting to compare the two 'fan zones' in the last few weeks.
Fan Zone with light show, very little noise.
Fan Zone at 3pm with no light show, louder.
So is it just a Brighton thing that we don't like or want drums, lights and goal music.
I also note from going to away games, few clubs have a DJ/Compere but we do and it works.
In my mind we've got the mix just right (just dump the light show). Post match also is spot on and reads the crowd perfectly.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hate goal music. But hate drums even more......tuneless bang bang bang all game long regardless of what is happening on the pitch. I'm all for banging on the back of the stand from time to time as part of a crowd chant but not that relentless droning on.....
Why not go the whole hog and have suspenseful pre-goal music while VAR does its thing. Maybe accompanied by a roll on the drums. The pantomime would be complete :lol:

It was interesting to compare the two 'fan zones' in the last few weeks.
Fan Zone with light show, very little noise.
Fan Zone at 3pm with no light show, louder.
So is it just a Brighton thing that we don't like or want drums, lights and goal music.
I also note from going to away games, few clubs have a DJ/Compere but we do and it works.
In my mind we've got the mix just right (just dump the light show). Post match also is spot on and reads the crowd perfectly.

I don't mind the light shows etc, as it can all help to build up the atmosphere.

I caught the pre-match of the Man City game last week and it was genuinely like the pundits were trying to broadcast from a night club/festival. Found this video (which doesn't have sound for most of it) – I think this is way more lighting and lasers than the Fatboy Slim show at the Amex back in 2012!

Guessing you don't approve!

Diallo

Jan 3, 2021
Goal music is so last year. So glad we never took that trend on. One thing I’ve never understood, instead of playing music, why not project famous artwork onto the big screens as the players celebrate scoring? A Van Gogh picture followed by a Picasso pic whilst an Albion player slides on his knees celebrating a goal could be exactly the combination that’ll give the Amex that atmosphere it’s been missing?

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
I must be the only one but I like the Leicester goal music- it’s must be up there up not hating Palace like most on here!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I must be the only one but I like the Leicester goal music

Goal music and the like are there to add a bit of zhuzh to a shit sport that isn't interesting enough on its own. So it suits American sports well, but football is god's game and doesn't need it. Except for when it's played at Selhurst park, when it's not really like football at all and goal music and a ****ing eagle seem to fit in with the whole shitfest.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
At a FBS concert maybe, but this is a football match.

Can I join you in being an Official Old Man? When I mentioned Qatar, that was one of the worst things about their soulless World Cup. Wall to wall, deafening music in the build-up. Crap 80s bands. A moronic DJ yelling at people to make an atmosphere. A massively over the top ‘opening ceremony’ for every single game all the way through to a countdown to kick-off right up to the whistle. The football became a complete sideshow to the point you almost forgot why you were there. Absolutely no chance of an atmosphere being generated. The locals loved it because they didn’t give a shit as long as they got some nice photos for instagram. Some even smiled and applauded politely before they could revert to looking bored stiff during the actual game. Seemed to me the intention was to turn every match into an ‘event’ which I suppose helps justify the rip-off ticket prices. Honestly, if football goes that way, it’ll lose almost everything most English fans love about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here