Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Go on Jason Steele !!!!

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I would love to know what star lizards algorithm says about Jason Steele as all the stat websites have him in the bottom 3 for goalkeepers.

The only way I can rationalise the decision to start steele was with our lack of first choice players to choose from and a misfiring attack, we were always going to loose so Steele was sacrificed to save Bart’s confidence.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I would love to know what star lizards algorithm says about Jason Steele as all the stat websites have him in the bottom 3 for goalkeepers.

The only way I can rationalise the decision to start steele was with our lack of first choice players to choose from and a misfiring attack, we were always going to loose so Steele was sacrificed to save Bart’s confidence.
I feel that was part of the decision, maybe subconsciously from RDZ, but possible.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
You called me and others like me ‘wilfully ignorant’ and said we are defending Steele because he is a ‘nice guy’ 😂

There are footballing qualities people see in Steele to which some folk seem completely oblivious - I see his weaknesses but also his strengths. You are expressing an opinion just like me, just like everyone else yet you say ‘it is what it is’.

Citeh were pressing very high and all over us - yes, he could have ignored De Zerbi’s instructions and played hoofball into the space in the CMF (Bart probably would have done) but Citeh also had defenders sitting back and would have simply have come back with a counter-attack - once Citeh get possession, especially when they are already a goal up, it is very hard to win that back as the 35% possession stats for us testify - Steele did exactly the right thing by playing short passes to penetrate the press - as I said, it was not his fault that he had a 19 year old debut player on his inside LB trying to cope with the top team in the world’s forwards all over his young a+rse or we were missing Gilmour.

Steele handled himself like a pro last night - he was focussed and methodical and I see no reason to question RDZ’s decision to use Steele based on last night’s performance - nor do I looked at lineups before a game and assume we are going to lose because Steele is named in the lineup.

If people want to beat up Steele, that’s their choice - I just don’t agree with many of the reasons for doing so and not in the vitriolic, scapegoating way that some seem to do it, that’s all - that’s not patronising you or anyone else, it is simply stating a POV. 👍
And you did your usual thing of taking what I’d said and manipulating it, rather than engaging in any meaningful discussion. The bit you highlighted was a conversation that I’d have with a friend, defined by the quotation marks, so clearly that element was an opinion.

But yes, you are willfully ignorant. You claim to recognise his weaknesses, but fail to acknowledge the impact they have on our club and the results we continue to get with him in goal. So getting away from opinion, the facts are that he’s in the bottom percentile of keepers for this level. He’s averaged 2 goals conceded for every Prem game he’s played, his statistics for making saves are nothing short of appalling and, funnily enough, his distribution is worse than the keeper (statistically) that he keeps being rotated with, but of course you’ll claim Bart would’ve just hoofed it, because, you know… opinion.

You can spout utter nonsense about it being a stylistic or tactical thing, but it goes beyond that - it’s about quality, and he lacks it at the level we’re trying to compete at. So I don’t personally care if he acts like a pro - Crikey, I could act like a pro in that position - what matters is that he’s a risk every time he plays, and every bit of footballing data and knowledge shows that.

Anyway, I’ve got to be honest, every experience I’ve had of you on these boards has been unbelievably negative, so I’m going to block you. Have a lovely day.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I think you're conflating two things here.

The Bloom / Star Lizard / Albion algorithm is used to select players to potentially recruit. Steele joined us in the summer 2018 transfer window. We had a clear number 1 - Maty Ryan, and Steele joined David Button as typical unlikely-to-start-league-fixtures backup keepers. Christian Walton was loaned out to Wigan to pick up match minutes.

Steele didn't play his first game for us until the January 2019 3rd Round Cup tie against Bournemouth, and had to wait until September 2020 for his next appearance - an EFL Cup fixture.

I'm not sure anyone anywhere expected Steele to become a regular feature in Premier League starting line-ups, and he wasn't brought to the club with that in mind.

Then Roberto De Zerbi happened. Working with the keepers at his disposal, and having very particular requirements about how his sides play, Steele's footballing skills, as opposed to more traditional goalkeeping attributes, propelled Steele forward.

Just to be clear - I'm not suggesting Jason Steele should be starting for us. My only issue is with people who abuse Jason Steele because they don't think he's good enough. If you don't think Jason Steele is good enough to start for us - your issue is actually with Roberto De Zerbi.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Against City I thought steele was brilliant with his feet & made some good saves. He couldn't have stopped the 1st, 2nd or 3rd & was unlucky with the 4th. I don't believe he was at fault for us losing. & as it was his 1st league start for a while - he hasn't been at fault for the previous results either

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
So your blame lies entirely at the door of Roberto De Zerbi for playing him, presumably?

Or do you expect him to say "no - Bart's better than me, play him instead" when selected?
I’ll admit to blaming RDZ for picking him. He seems very stubborn with this GK rotation even though it hasn’t worked.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Against City I thought steele was brilliant with his feet & made some good saves. He couldn't have stopped the 1st, 2nd or 3rd & was unlucky with the 4th. I don't believe he was at fault for us losing. & as it was his 1st league start for a while - he hasn't been at fault for the previous results either
I thought the 1st goal was a bit iffy , 4th goal did not have the bottle to come with his hands

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
With a set few after Steele's head on here, have they seen the goals missed, also the lack of good chances created and the poor marking or a missed placed passes across the back? It's a squad game let's back off Steele and trust in RDZ, like we did at the start of the season.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Yes , Heaven forbid that a goalie be judged on how many goals he lets in ! (I suppose the Wolves clanger wasn't down to him either). :facepalm:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Good keepers don’t concede that header should be tipped over the bar. In fact Sarr did it this afternoon very similar distance with a high looping header.!

I think most goalkeepers concede that header, it wasn't looping, its very direct, straight and high, it only just starts dipping as it goes under the crossbar.

I thought the 1st goal was a bit iffy , 4th goal did not have the bottle to come with his hands

Steele could do better with the 4th, he's slow off his line, he does go with his hands but I think he should have reacted quicker with that one, he's probably a yard too far back when Walker beats Barco, which means he's never going to get there before Walker.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
The debate about Steele is getting boring. More bothersome is RDZs recently spoken view that he is one of the best in the world.

I thought that RDZs tactics of incessant short passing out from the goalie against City was ludicrous. Steele as a senior player should have mixed up when it was clearly not working.

Let's hope the rotation end and think that Bart would be best to start next season.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The debate about Steele is getting boring. More bothersome is RDZs recently spoken view that he is one of the best in the world.

I thought that RDZs tactics of incessant short passing out from the goalie against City was ludicrous. Steele as a senior player should have mixed up when it was clearly not working.

Let's hope the rotation end and think that Bart would be best to start next season.
That's the only reason Barco got caught out for the third goal. He was new to following orders to dick around at the back for all risk no gain

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
This possibly belongs on the BHA loaners thread, but pertinent to a GK discussion. Here are the basic stats for Sheffield Weds 3-0 win - a MASSIVE win in every sense:

By all accounts the stats don’t lie with Beadle being ranked as MOM on Owlstalk as well - https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/330398-man-of-the-match-player-ratings-vs-west-brom-h/

IMG_0380.png

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Re the playing out from the back and Steeles instance on delaying kicking or passing into dangerous areas It may have been a clear instruction from the manager but sometimes professionals have to make their own decisions within the match.

I agree 💯. The professionals there should make their own decisions during the game but I feel that aspect has been driven out of our defense by the intense training.

I wonder if this is what RDZ meant when he said his players follow him too much and need to take their own initiative more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here