Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Giroud?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
He made claims of being Premier League Ready three seasons before we were there. We scoffed, but when we got there we were indeed ready and are still there. We can look over at clubs like Huddersfield and Hull and Middlesbrough and Cardiff who weren't premier league ready. Now he has said ambition is to be a top ten club. So clearly there IS intent to spend like that. But you don't start bottom 5 club and then instantly try and be a top-10 club, it will take time. We'll be a top ten club when we get there, not try and be a top ten for a season and then crash. We might get relegated in the meantime, but if we put all the pieces together, in the right order, I would back TB to achieve his dream. Lots of teams flirt with top 10 and then fall away, your Stokes of the world, lots go down and then come back, certainly it is EXCEPTIONALLY difficult to be an established top-10 side in the premier league. I'm pretty certain its not achieved with some panicky spending in January though.

Of course any ambition for top ten is not achieved in Jan, but the make or break of staying in the division can be.

It's very easy to write let's go down and come back again, many clubs have said that and never did.

It's easier to try by hook or crook to stay here now, and for that one purpose, to still be PL this May, we really need to reinforce as all our relegation rivals are.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Of course any ambition for top ten is not achieved in Jan, but the make or break of staying in the division can be.

It's very easy to write let's go down and come back again, many clubs have said that and never did.

It's easier to try by hook or crook to stay here now, and for that one purpose, to still be PL this May, we really need to reinforce as all our relegation rivals are.

wise words

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

It might be easier to stay in the premier league by hook or by crook, as you put it, throwing money around to whoever is available in January and staying up. Rinse and repeat every year.

I expect doing that we'd end up looking like Palace or Bournemouth, or eventually like Stoke, Bolton, or Charlton. Was there or is there a plan to be top 10 amongst those sides, or is it all about staying in the premier league for as long as possible?

Plans are meant to be followed. We have to trust in the plan, or not, I suppose :shrug: I won't like going down, no-one will, and I'm sure the plan will come to fruition quicker if we stay up. But I expect that just focusing on staying up every year will eventually mean we won't.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
It might be easier to stay in the premier league by hook or by crook, as you put it, throwing money around to whoever is available in January and staying up. Rinse and repeat every year.

I expect doing that we'd end up looking like Palace or Bournemouth, or eventually like Stoke, Bolton, or Charlton. Was there or is there a plan to be top 10 amongst those sides, or is it all about staying in the premier league for as long as possible?

Plans are meant to be followed. We have to trust in the plan, or not, I suppose :shrug: I won't like going down, no-one will, and I'm sure the plan will come to fruition quicker if we stay up. But I expect that just focusing on staying up every year will eventually mean we won't.

You argue the case very well, but surely sacking ultra defensive Hughton for ultra offensive Potter cannot all conform to the same plan. We'd start again.
Conversely if we go down with the amount of players who will leave the club and championship standard who will arrive, that would set us back, then again if we did manage to get promoted back to the PL, we'd have the same problems of a championship squad and trying to get better players. Going down will involve more chop and change. Coming back up more again and being at a first season disadvantage again.

Staying here is the only way we can build on what we have today. It would be madness to follow the Pompey/QPR model, but we must do all we can (within reason) to stay. If we fail cest la vie, but the gamble to not reinforce (if that's what happens?) as all around do, will do nothing positive for the top ten plan. It will be both disruptive and expensive.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
You argue the case very well, but surely sacking ultra defensive Hughton for ultra offensive Potter cannot all conform to the same plan. We'd start again.
Conversely if we go down with the amount of players who will leave the club and championship standard who will arrive, that would set us back, then again if we did manage to get promoted back to the PL, we'd have the same problems of a championship squad and trying to get better players. Going down will involve more chop and change. Coming back up more again and being at a first season disadvantage again.

Staying here is the only way we can build on what we have today. It would be madness to follow the Pompey/QPR model, but we must do all we can (within reason) to stay. If we fail cest la vie, but the gamble to not reinforce (if that's what happens?) as all around do, will do nothing positive for the top ten plan. It will be both disruptive and expensive.

You know I'm going to argue from my glass half-full perspective (actually my glass is full almost to the brim)... but here goes...

- changing from Hughton to Potter was the end of one plan and the start of a new one. The end of the 'get to the premier league and survive' plan and the start of the 'lets become a top-10 side' plan.

- if we go down some will leave. Many won't. Meanwhile the huge number of talented young players we've been hoarding, the undoubted ability of several players out on loan, and a good solid core with stable club management and direction, bolstered by parachute payments and a sensible approach to salaries whilst in the premier league, whilst acknowledging a long-term plan and not having loads of 30+ year old players on huge salaries and little motivation, will give us as good a chance of any as bouncing straight back. We can all name clubs who got relegated and had virtually none of these things other than the parachute payments.

- obviously staying up is the best way to keep building. And I'm confident we will. I'd be gutted if we didn't. But this is what, the Giroud thread? So if we were to splash the cash and sign him on 100 grand a week, and he STILL didn't keep us up, then getting stuck with him next year, say out of form, injured, whatever and un-movable - that's the kind of setback I'm talking about above which has sunk bigger clubs than us. Sign players, yes. But sign the right players for the right reason.

Anyway, whenever there is a debate about what Brighton should do, I will always wheel out Micky Adams circa 2001. KEEP THE FAITH :thumbsup:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
For the love of God, this is NEVER going to happen.

EVER.

I can’t wait for this to be over. Totally beyond our budget, would disrupt the wage structure, harmony and (if he did sign, which he’s never going to do - just to establish that) he’d probably get injured in his first game and that would be that.

Bring on the news he’s joining a much bigger club.
In reality it would only cost £1.5m to the end of the season on a loan deal, small price to pay for another year of PL football.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
In reality it would only cost £1.5m to the end of the season on a loan deal, small price to pay for another year of PL football.

100% this

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
For starters Chelsea weren't willing to sell. If they had he would have gone to a bigger club, even with the assumption we were willing to pay.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Off to Juve.

Proving my point that he's not good enough for The Albion.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Off to Juve.

Proving my point that he's not good enough for The Albion.

The barrel is emptying as we hum and ha and prevaricate but I am still managing to hold off on the panty liners, just.

This one was always highly unlikely though

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The barrel is emptying as we hum and ha and prevaricate but I am still managing to hold off on the panty liners, just.

This one was always highly unlikely though

Quite, Juve seem to be a last club before the home in Eastbourne for many players. Bale next ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here