Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] General question on deposit for building work

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Asked for and got a dated receipt.

I’m more than happy to help a fellow NSC member, free of charge, to try and get this sorted. I’m a consultant QS so am used to these situations, albeit usually in £millions. If you want to forward me all the paperwork and a timeline, I’ll draft you a letter to move things forward.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I’m more than happy to help a fellow NSC member, free of charge, to try and get this sorted. I’m a consultant QS so am used to these situations, albeit usually in £millions. If you want to forward me all the paperwork and a timeline, I’ll draft you a letter to move things forward.

What a wonderful gesture!

I will bare this in mind, but I've had my fair share of financial tussles over the years and have assembled a pretty strong armoury of 'weapons'. In a distorted way I quite enjoy the battle.

In summary, if I cant get my money back I will destroy their lives and their business. One of my favourite mantras is "Don't get mad get even" :thumbsup:

Last edited:

NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
What a wonderful gesture!

I will bare this in mind, but I've had my fair share of financial tussles over the years and have assembled a pretty strong armoury of 'weapons'. In a distorted way I quite enjoy the battle.

In summary, if I cant get my money back I destroy their lives and their business. One of my favourite mantras is "Don't get mad get even" :thumbsup:

More than happy to help, but sounds like you won’t need it :thumbsup:

Balders

Aug 19, 2013

As posted earlier, we went down the CCJ route, pretty painless and cheaper than the Small Claims Court. It may spark him into action, as long as you have everything documented we got it back within a fortnight without any additional correspondence.

NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
As posted earlier, we went down the CCJ route, pretty painless and cheaper than the Small Claims Court. It may spark him into action, as long as you have everything documented we got it back within a fortnight without any additional correspondence.

You’re absolutely right, record everything and you have the upper hand,

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Update

I had set the deadline for my refund at midnight tonight. It had been all quiet for 4 days till 6 o'clock this evening when I sent a final reminder, together with their first sighting of my 8 point plan to recover the money. (see above)

By 3 minutes past 6 o'clock I had an e mail and at ten past six payment in full was made.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Update

I had set the deadline for my refund at midnight tonight. It had been all quiet for 4 days till 6 o'clock this evening when I sent a final reminder, together with their first sighting of my 8 point plan to recover the money. (see above)

By 3 minutes past 6 o'clock I had an e mail and at ten past six payment in full was made.

Good news. Now go and invest it on a 2-1 win to BHA on Sunday 👍

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Update

Excellent news :thumbsup:

If you can afford to leave the job 6 months, I suspect you will find it far simpler to source a good quality builder.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There's a more subtle way of doing this. A friend of mine happened to have access to a rather posh car, so he got two more of his friends to help out. One of them - a big bloke, a rugby forward, put on dark glasses and a suit and drove the car. The other sat in the back. They drove up to where the builder was working, and the chauffeur got out of the car and opened the back door for the other bloke to casually get out and say "you owe my associate John Smith £x, and he wants it back. Tomorrow." Then got back in the car and drove off.

No threats were offered at all, but he got the money the same day.

merlin_37010667.0.jpg

:facepalm:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
there's a more subtle way of doing this. A friend of mine happened to have access to a rather posh car, so he got two more of his friends to help out. One of them - a big bloke, a rugby forward, put on dark glasses and a suit and drove the car. The other sat in the back. They drove up to where the builder was working, and the chauffeur got out of the car and opened the back door for the other bloke to casually get out and say "you owe my associate john smith £x, and he wants it back. Tomorrow." then got back in the car and drove off.

No threats were offered at all, but he got the money the same day.

#dhotya

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Update

I'd do the local paper thing anyway just to stop him doing someone else over.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Most service industries.
Payment in advance is for buying stuff. If I order some clothes online then I pay in advance. If I order a meal in a restaurant I receive the product then pay later if it is to the expected standard. Same applies for tradesmen and with communication mostly works really well. We have built up a local network of decent people who have done some really good work on our house. All on recommendation. The one mistake we made was finding someone online and they are the ones who have had scaffolding on our house for months whilst not finishing the job.

Personally speaking, i only invoice in advance on boiler installs.. usually a token amount (say £1k plus vat) and then invoice the rest upon completion - There's no way i'm leaving a boiler on someones wall without payment towards it..

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Personally speaking, i only invoice in advance on boiler installs.. usually a token amount (say £1k plus vat) and then invoice the rest upon completion - There's no way i'm leaving a boiler on someones wall without payment towards it..

Fair enough. It makes sense to judge on the balance between service and stuff. If a big part of the bill is stuff then seems reasonable to charge a deposit if you don’t know a customer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here