Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] ‘Game changing’ smartphone app gathers evidence of speeding.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
What is this weird new obsession we seem to have with all monitoring and telling tales on each other. It’s an absolute sickness in our society.

You may not like it but you're going to see increasing numbers of people convicted on the evidence of dashcams etc - If it helps to encourage people to drive slower and more safely then it's no bad thing.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
What is this weird new obsession we seem to have with all monitoring and telling tales on each other. It’s an absolute sickness in our society.

Whilst I sort of get what you are saying, I also think that speeding does appear to be one of the last bastions of dangerous/anti-social driving that people seem to think is acceptable. I have colleagues who boast and laugh about how they don't drop below 90 on their way into work on the A23 most mornings and complaining about people who are overtaking in the outside lane at 75mph. On the days I drive into work, I drive at about 32mph on the Old Shoreham Road (30 limit) and am always the slowest car on the road. No-one sits behind me and does the same speed, ever. Everyone overtakes, meaning they must be doing minimum 35, but usually nearer 40. This is alongside pavements with 5 year olds scooting on them etc.

You wouldn't boast about or casually accept someone else driving after a few pints, or using their phone, so not sure why this is deemed to be unecessary on the drivers that are doing it, but apparently it is.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You may not like it but you're going to see increasing numbers of people convicted on the evidence of dashcams etc - If it helps to encourage people to drive slower and more safely then it's no bad thing.

Yup. Montoring people 24/7 would save a lot of lives and convict a lot of people. As long as you have nothing to hide for whatever powermongering fascist chimp who is running your country, you'll be fine.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
This is a disgrace! Anything that could potentially reduce the 1500+ deaths a year from driving accidents should be stamped out. Think of the potential impact on the economy as emergency services, morgue workers and undertakers get made redundant. Not to mention the drop off in sorely needed transplant organs.

It is a big no from me Clive.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
not going to be admisable in court. even officially calibrated cameras need to have the road markings to enforce. evidence of dangerous or anti-social driving more usful.

Not so - speed cameras do not require road markings - they are there as a “useful” secondary check.

https://www.motoringresearch.com/advice/speed-cameras-painted-road-markings/

The lines are there to make it easier for safety camera partnerships to provide the necessary evidence. Photogrammetry is a more effective secondary check.

Alternatively, other fixed features could be used to make the assessment of the distance travelled by the vehicle between the two images in the evidence. An example could be the road markings in the centre of the road.

Likewise not all speed cameras are painted yellow - those on motorway gantries are often painted grey.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Yup. Montoring people 24/7 would save a lot of lives and convict a lot of people. As long as you have nothing to hide for whatever powermongering fascist chimp who is running your country, you'll be fine.

This isn't the state monitoring people 24/7 though is it? It's enabling citizens to report a crime with evidence in a way they could for pretty much any other.

If you took a photo of someone using their phone behind the wheel and sent it to the police they might (probably not) investigate, likewise if you videoed a dangerous driver or whatever. Or if you had a video of an assault/fight outside a club, you might pass it to the police. What's the difference?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can we get one to grass up those idiots who park on the pavement too please. I'm all for this.

They don't park on the pavement.

They park their cars on the lil road, they also own.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here