G24 Contractual Parking Notice Advice

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Since wheel clamping on private land has been outlawed all the cowboy clamping companies have done is rebrand themselves as private parking contractors. They dish out these parking charge notices like confetti knowing a percentage of people will cough up believing them to be legitimate parking 'tickets'. They are not and you should just ignore them.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Since wheel clamping on private land has been outlawed all the cowboy clamping companies have done is rebrand themselves as private parking contractors. They dish out these parking charge notices like confetti knowing a percentage of people will cough up believing them to be legitimate parking 'tickets'. They are not and you should just ignore them.

That depends on who issues the 'ticket'. Parking Eye for example are nasty b@stards and have taken many people to court.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
This was done via ANPR most likely. I'm a bit surprised you got a ticket ( and I'll call it a ticket for ease - it isn't really ). Normally these tickets are issued for one of three reasons :

1. Your overstayed the maximum time allowed. In your case this seems rather unlikely !

2. It was permit holders only. If this was the case it usually takes boots on the ground to be able to check windscreens and as you were in the car you would hopefully have spotted some moronic rockape hardly able to pick his knuckles off the floor placing a ticket on your windscreen.

3. The vehicle has entered the car park twice within a specified period. So if the car park says no return within four hours and you dropped off the wife first and then went to collect her within four hours then you would have broken this 'rule'.

What does the ticket say it is for ? Which gym - name and address would be useful.

What should you do ?

Well to start with your wife should complain like hell to the gym manager. DEMAND it is cancelled or she'll find another gym at the end of her membership. Many places claim not to be able to cancel these things - 99% of the time they are lying. THEY have normally appointed the parking company so the parking company are THEIR agents. Therefore the gym are legally liable for the actions of their agents.

You should appeal to G24 - it will say on the ticket how to do this. Use that link to MSE you were given earlier and you'll find a sticky thread called 'Newbies' - use the template from there. G24 will most likely reject your appeal - don't worry about this.

G24 belong to a trade association called the IPC. The IPC is paid for by the parking companies. The IPC has to, by law, offer an 'independent' appeals service ( IAS ). Sadly it isn't independent and it's more of a kangaroo court. Almost impossible to get a result in favour of the driver.

The good thing about G24 is that they have NEVER done court. Having spoken to a number of their staff and to the MD via email I can see why - they are nothing short of thugs and bullies who probably don't have a GCSE between them. So if they reject your appeal just ignore them - IAS isn't worth the effort. You will get a few threatening letters from G24 and then their pet debt collectors but that is it. The only thing you HAVE to act on is genuine court papers - which you won't get.

Just wanted to quote this because people who only open the current page won't have read it and it really should be noted by everyone who has received or might in future receive a threatening letter or "fine".

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
How do you think the tradesman offers that discount and why ? Because they don't charge you the VAT and they can hide the income. So you've evaded paying VAT and they've broken the law by not charging it. Come on, you're really that naive are you ?

Are you really silly or just playing devils advocate, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, i cannot be responsible for a tradesman's tax affairs ! I pay what they quote.
Additionally the vast majority are not even VAT registered, only comes in at 81k.
Stick to domestic parking tickets of which you have devoted all your spare time to.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Are you really silly or just playing devils advocate, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, i cannot be responsible for a tradesman's tax affairs ! I pay what they quote.
Additionally the vast majority are not even VAT registered, only comes in at 81k.
Stick to domestic parking tickets of which you have devoted all your spare time to.

Actually it is your responsibility to pay VAT when applicable. Claiming ignorance doesn't relieve you of that responsibility. You would be exceptionally stupid to think that YOU asking for a discount for cash doesn't result in a tax fiddle.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Actually it is your responsibility to pay VAT when applicable. Claiming ignorance doesn't relieve you of that responsibility. You would be exceptionally stupid to think that YOU asking for a discount for cash doesn't result in a tax fiddle.

I don't ask for a discount, its offered, in the same way discount is offered for early settlement on monthly account suppliers.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I don't ask for a discount, its offered, in the same way discount is offered for early settlement on monthly account suppliers.

Yeh, OK. So assuming that's true, it doesn't run through your head 'How and why would this trades person offer me a discount for cash ?' - it's no different to the offers you get in pubs ''ello mate, fancy buying a cheap joint of meat ?'. In those cases you know it's stolen. In the same way you know a tradesman offering a discount for cash is on a tax fiddle and if you don't then you're bloody stupid.

Last edited:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Am really surprised westdene seagull is getting grief on here! Seems to be going out of his way to help people but getting a load of shit for it and picked up pedantically for his choice of words.

Hope op gets it sorted anyway. Sounds pretty shitty really :(

THIS!

A member has a concern and somebody with knowledge and experience on the issue steps in to help out. And then gets heaps of shit for being helpful and providing sound advice. PATHETIC!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Whether they are a legal authority to issue it of not is not relevant, anyone of us can issue an invoice for any given reason, if the recipient choose to pay it or ignore it that a separate issue, that is nothing "fake" about anyone issuing an invoice.

What a strange way of looking at it, of course you do not pay, just follow Westdene Seagull's advice.

Horsham Gull

H Block Offender
Dec 4, 2006
Horsham
Sorry to butt in but i had an experience like this recently with CPPlus (Another bunch of crooks) and followed advice from one of these popular forums, given advice similar to [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] ignored them though i received a couple of letters chasing money i DIDNT owe and threats of court action eventually they went away (well i think i haven't heard from them since the beginning of January) i assume they have now given up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports