Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Freelancers, how do you find work?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes sounds about right, give or take a little. I'd say it is on the more expensive side but not by a big margin.

But you should discuss and agree on what is expected in terms of output for the money you pay, makes it easier for both writer and client. IYou can also find someone on a per word basis, gives you more control and will often be a bit cheaper. Currently Google does love a bit of wordshitting so there's no real disadvantage to it as long as the quality is fine.
Tony Bloom made this mistake. It cost him 2.8m this past year.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m a freelancer and currently have two longish term clients. I have got all my work either through friends/people in the industry introducing me to a new client, or once I’m working somewhere I’m recommended to another department once my current task is over.

I get numerous emails via LinkedIn, and requests to connect each week, but it’s usually for permanent positions and often the same job being offered via multiple people…I gave up responding to these a long time ago.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
From my experience SEO is a bit of a mixed bag. I used it in my company to get to the top of sponsored searches, but the main keywords we used were also used by competitors and this pushed the price for these words through the roof. As charges were calculated on pay per click the monthly budget was often used up before the end of the month and we’d drop right down the sponsored links. In the end I didn’t believe that it was cost effective and stopped using it. Personally, I now tend to ignore sponsored links when searching for goods and/or services as I know that these companies are spending fortunes to get to no 1 but it doesn’t necessarily reflect quality. If you believe that being no 1 in searches will generate the additional income to cover the costs, I guess it’ll be for you.

In answer to the OP’s question, I’m not sure how competing SEO consultants sell themselves as it’s the keyword charges that get you to no 1
I work in this field and what you mean is paid search, or SEA, or SEM, or PPC or whatever you want to call it, and yes it can vary from being incredibly valuable to a complete waste of money, depending on a million different things.

If anyone tries to sell you SEO by saying you need to pay for clicks they are taking you for a ride, SEO is all about growing your organic (free) web traffic.

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
Yes sounds about right, give or take a little. I'd say it is on the more expensive side but not by a big margin.

But you should discuss and agree on what is expected in terms of output for the money you pay, makes it easier for both writer and client. IYou can also find someone on a per word basis, gives you more control and will often be a bit cheaper. Currently Google does love a bit of wordshitting so there's no real disadvantage to it as long as the quality is fine.
Thanks. I’m a freelance writer/pr but have moved into publishing as a means of finding more pr business. Has worked well so far. I use linked in to build relationships and research for news. I could do with better Seo to build the following of the website/publication but hard to justify paying another writer to do what I should and probably could do myself.
Maybe that’s your way forward. Create your own Website/blog page with news and articles on seo as a means of demonstrating your seo skills. Then use linked in etc to further promote it… although from experience it’s quite a lot of (unpaid) work

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here