Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Franchise T20

Would you be in favour ???

• Total voters

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
How will this get extra fans involved in only played at Test Venues. Also if they retain the current Friday night schedule, how will workers and school children get to Southampton or the Oval for the game.

If the driving factor is more interest rather than money, why not insist that most 20/20 games are played at Festival grounds in the existing counties.

Even the rebranding of Warwickshire last season to the Birmingham Bears didn't seem to have paid off.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What will happen with a 10-team franchise operation is that all the extra money will go on player wages and not on developing the sport at grass roots level. Counties like Sussex will lose out big time, as our better young players will be hoovered up by Surrey or Hampshire who both have test grounds and will be assured of a franchise.

The fact of the matter is that Sussex have been the 3rd most successful county side in the Championship since the divisions split, and they've been a competitive one day side too, reaching a number of finals. Their 20/20 match attendances are excellent and the Hove Ground is a decent venue.

I really don't see how a switch to franchise cricket is going to help Sussex, and if we lose our 20/20 side then a lot of kids will miss out.

And I don't see that how the quality of cricketers at the elite level is going to improve either.

Sussex really buck the trend when it comes to non-test match venue counties. The likes of Kent, Derbyshire, Essex, Gloucestershire, Leicestershire and Northants haven't been competitive at the 4-day game for some years and their one-day successes are getting rarer too.

I think English cricket needs to think harder about all of this, in particular whether they want to stay committed to an 18-county format.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Horrendous plan.

Second, look at the maths. How is concentrating it in 10 grounds rather than 18 going to increase income? By each team playing more matches. So it takes over more of the cricketing calendar, which is already stuffed to the gills. So the 50 over competition will be dropped. Or the County Championship (the breeding ground for Test players) messed about. The CC 1st division actually works really well, produces some great cricket and higher standard of players.

Still in favour?

PG

If it did happen like this there'd be no point in Sussex employing/developing ANY one day players.
We'd still pick up the pay cheque w/o having to provide players for Slurrey/Pants.
Similar to farmers who are paid not to sow their fields :facepalm:

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Urgh. Just URGH.

Had two great nights at the twenty20 at Hove last year - great atmosphere, dads chatting over a couple of pints, kids running all over the place, going in the nets, getting autographs, enjoying the theatrics on the field.

Very sad if we lose this.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I am probably the kind of person this idea is aimed at - not really a cricket fan and would only ever go and watch T20, which I do 2-3 times a year.

However, what's wrong with the current T20 format? I'd rather watch my local team than an artificial franchise. I appreciate that an IPL-style thing would mean having all the best players in the world here, but in all honesty casual fans like myself wouldn't really appreciate it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here