Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] FiveThirtyEight: Does Brighton Belong Among The Premier League Elite?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The league table is constructed on results. Our results have got us where we are, so yes, we do belong there.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
That table is very misleading. On points alone, Brighton are 13th or 14th!

As for the rest of it, I couldn't get past the singular 'Brighton' – and that's someone who had 'Companies are never plural' drummed into them many moons ago...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
No of course we don't. The season is absurdly young, no way will we still be anything like 4th in the table come next May.

It's then and only then that the question should be asked.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

As for the rest of it, I couldn't get past the singular 'Brighton' – and that's someone who had 'Companies are never plural' drummed into them many moons ago...
Absolutely does my box. It's spreading over here as well

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH

It's perhaps a little confusing at first glance. The points are the actual total points from 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons. The table is sorted on expected goal difference. The point they are trying to make is that based on expected goal difference we would be 7th. In other words, their argument is that Brighton are better than their table position from the last couple of seasons suggests and that our current 4th place position isn't as much of a weird fluke as it might seem.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Every team in every league (bar maybe a few anomalies) is exactly where they deserve to be. So yes our being in the Premier League is justified. I hate all the talk you get of 'big' teams deserving to be higher in the league system than they are, and vice versa when smaller teams do well.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's perhaps a little confusing at first glance. The points are the actual total points from 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons. The table is sorted on expected goal difference. The point they are trying to make is that based on expected goal difference we would be 7th. In other words, their argument is that Brighton are better than their table position from the last couple of seasons suggests and that our current 4th place position isn't as much of a weird fluke as it might seem.

Yeah, but we all know 'expected goal difference' is a load of shite. What REALLY matters is ACTUALLY putting the ball in the net – and therefore winning games and accumulating more points. That's what I mean by it is misleading. It is trying to prove something that is irrelevant in the overall world of the Premier League.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
What’s all the nonsense about us never qualifying for Europe? My memory ain’t what it was, but I’m certain I went to Canvey Island for a competitive match in the 90s. That’s got to be abroad surely, I mean it’s an Island…..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here