Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] FA Cup semi finals

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Interesting you should say that.

Here's Neal Maupay acting like a cock, in a 3-3 FA Cup draw against a team THREE divisions below (for Brentford v Barnet). Go to 4:18 to watch him score a penalty, (awarded for a scandalous dive by Ollie Watkins) then celebrate in face of the teenage keeper, making his senior debut. And to 7 mins to see him try to get a Barnet player sent off.
Wondered why you seemed to know so much about this.....until I looked at the team line-ups on the BBC. :lol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wondered why you seemed to know so much about this.....until I looked at the team line-ups on the BBC. :lol:
You could have just watched the video!

Yes, not a game that I recall so well, entirely randomly...

W3D

I'm Thirsty
Apr 21, 2021
Worthing
Oh, well I stand corrected on that point
I'd not given this much consideration. So if the 2 Nd to last defender is the keeper, and he's in his area so can legitimately use his arms/hands, those parts of his body are still not used when VAR are determining and offside decision

W3D

I'm Thirsty
Apr 21, 2021
Worthing
I think they should remove offside from the list of things VAR can rule on, and leave it to the linno. There are plenty of other things which VAR can't get involved in. There was an incident in the Chelsea v City game when VAR had a quick look at whether Grealish had handled a free kick, and the ref had given a goal kick. VAR decided that it wasn't handball, but the replay clearly showed it had hit Grealish and should have been a corner. However the goal kick decision still stood

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I have sympathy with the lawmakers here

Can't win, make the lines thicker people complain, keep it as if, people complain
For an architectural comparison, if you form a brickwork opening for a new window, you tend to make the window 20mm smaller so that you have a 10mm manufacturing tolerance around the frame.

This analogy sums up VAR and offside for me, they have an opening in a wall, but they’ve ordered the window to fit exactly - it’s turned up on site and it won’t fit.

Really, the scope of the problem should have been set - what do we want to achieve?

The decision on Sunday can’t be faulted from a human being point of view - the assistant referee has made an excellent decision, nothing more could be asked of them in terms of the accuracy of their call.

So what is VAR here to do, because rather than correct human mistakes, it is actually being deployed for far greater accuracy than it was likely ever designed for. There was no human mistake so why the intervention?

What we’ve lost in football is an acceptance that human beings officiate, the rules do create a lot of grey areas, and on any given day different decisions will happen. Consistency while an overall aim will never be achieved because every incident is slightly different.

My annoyance with VAR is it’s gone beyond supporting officials to ignoring them. We’ve lost the remit that cricket set - retaining the weight of the officials decisions.

Forget thinkness of lines, the first check should be, has the assistant made an unreasonable mistake? And you can set a parameter for that. If inside the parameter do a more detailed check, if not stay with the onfield decision.

I keep coming back to cricket, but if the umpire doesn’t give the batsman out, that ball can still be showing the ball hitting the stumps, but he won’t be out unless over half of it is. It’s a great system that has improved cricket umpiring because the technology gives them confidence that they are supported by the technology, not undermined by it.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
I think they should remove offside from the list of things VAR can rule on, and leave it to the linno. There are plenty of other things which VAR can't get involved in. There was an incident in the Chelsea v City game when VAR had a quick look at whether Grealish had handled a free kick, and the ref had given a goal kick. VAR decided that it wasn't handball, but the replay clearly showed it had hit Grealish and should have been a corner. However the goal kick decision still stood
Or maybe make it also under the clear and obvious category? So really bad decisions get corrected but tight calls go to the onfield call.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here