Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Energy Crisis affecting Non-League Football

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I watch Scottish Highland League games several times a season, the gates are usually between about 150 and 500.
I reckon the standard is equivalent to about Step 9 or 10 in Sussex - i.e.Whitehawk/Chichester/Littlehampton/Burgess Hill, Lancing/Newhaven/Bexhill United.

In the Highland League players are mostly unpaid, usually just covering players expenses and the odd win bonus.
The article below highlights some of the problems the energy crisis is creating for their football clubs.

I'm aware that the Isthmian League have given clubs permission to have earlier kick-offs, I'm not sure what other cost-cutting actions will be taken by other local leagues and clubs.

Link to article:The Press&Journal

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I watch Scottish Highland League games several times a season, the gates are usually between about 150 and 500.
I reckon the standard is equivalent to about Step 9 or 10 in Sussex - i.e.Whitehawk/Chichester/Littlehampton/Burgess Hill, Lancing/Newhaven/Bexhill United.

In the Highland League players are mostly unpaid, usually just covering players expenses and the odd win bonus.
The article below highlights some of the problems the energy crisis is creating for their football clubs.

I'm aware that the Isthmian League have given clubs permission to have earlier kick-offs, I'm not sure what other cost-cutting actions will be taken by other local leagues and clubs.

Link to article:The Press&Journal

Stop all payments to players, why on earth players believe they deserve paying for what is a hobby, it’s no more than that. People that play cricket have to pay a lot of money to play, same as most sports why is football any different ?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
In the energy crisis upcoming I am amazed more isn';t being thought of to try and cut usage, just all about cutting the costs. Surely League 1 and below could kick off at 12pm through Dec/Jan and 1pm Nov/Feb??

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
This also impacts on clubs NOT paying players, clubs in SCFL are getting gates of 30-50, taking say £200-250, with probably £130+ on officials and £100 on floodlights, doesn't leave a lot left for maintenance etc.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I'd be very surprised if come October every Sussex non league club with floodlights isn't kicking off between 1.30 and 2.00, right the way through to March, when the clocks go forward.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
In the energy crisis upcoming I am amazed more isn';t being thought of to try and cut usage, just all about cutting the costs. Surely League 1 and below could kick off at 12pm through Dec/Jan and 1pm Nov/Feb??

Sounds OK in theory but for the likes of clubs like ours ( Leiston) Southern Premier Central we already have to set of at 8am for most games. Can't see players and fans being too happy about that .

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Stop all payments to players, why on earth players believe they deserve paying for what is a hobby, it’s no more than that. People that play cricket have to pay a lot of money to play, same as most sports why is football any different ?

They're in demand and a club gives them a contract and agrees to pay them if they play for them? It's not that they believe they deserve to be paid - the clubs offer to pay them. What an odd statement. And many players are paid to play league cricket too many levels below the county professional game. So just a confused post really.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Sounds OK in theory but for the likes of clubs like ours ( Leiston) Southern Premier Central we already have to set of at 8am for most games. Can't see players and fans being too happy about that .

I'm sure they won't be but this is where we all need to make personal sacrifices.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
They're in demand and a club gives them a contract and agrees to pay them if they play for them? It's not that they believe they deserve to be paid - the clubs offer to pay them. What an odd statement. And many players are paid to play league cricket too many levels below the county professional game. So just a confused post really.

It really isn't confused at all. The reason many clubs have struggled lower down is that they pay players. It's the club's own fault. To pay players when one man and his dog watches them is plain stupidity. Apart from Yorkshire club cricket show me where cricketers are paid below the county level. I've been involved in cricket for 40 years and know of no one. In fact they pay to play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here