Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Empty Plastic Seats

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Maybe, and rightly so, it’s through blue and white spectacles, but watching Meridian Tonight with the weekend football highlights, its only October and Reading are going well in the Championship but row upon row of empty seats, going further down the Leagues, a whole end at Swindon shut, the same end we used to pack out In League One.

Perhaps with the exception of the Hypia Hiatus, I can’t really remember a time in a League Game at the Amex when the amount of plastic seats were embarrassing, or have I got selective memory?

Is football outside the EPL pricing fans out of going?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Maybe, and rightly so, it’s through blue and white spectacles, but watching Meridian Tonight with the weekend football highlights, its only October and Reading are going well in the Championship but row upon row of empty seats, going further down the Leagues, a whole end at Swindon shut, the same end we used to pack out In League One.

Perhaps with the exception of the Hypia Hiatus, I can’t really remember a time in a League Game at the Amex when the amount of plastic seats were embarrassing, or have I got selective memory?

No, you're right, mate. It's weird.

That said, we have only experienced travel in one direction since Gussy joined us.

Just wait till Bob relegates us next season.....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I recall gloomy Albion fans who claimed the Amex (with its initial capacity of 22,000) would struggle to see gates of 14,000.

It’s a vast catchment area all to ourselves and TB/PB run the club so well, going to games is attractive.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

Reading is a bit of an oddity, that the best thing about it its easy to get to any where else. London is only 30 mins on the train, so easy to support your chosen London team. To be fair to the Reading fans that still go they are as loyal to their club as any other. If they go up then the plastics will return. I sometimes; if Brighton are not playing; will go to a Reading game with my next door neighbour (once or twice a season) it is nice to be able to walk to a game and be completely un-fussed about the result. I went to to the Reading v Sunderland game this season and despite where they are in the league the football they played was dreadful, it is not going to get fans back. The ticket was £22 so not too bad.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I recall gloomy Albion fans who claimed the Amex (with its initial capacity of 22,000) would struggle to see gates of 14,000.

It’s a vast catchment area all to ourselves and TB/PB run the club so well, going to games is attractive.
I think that was more gloating Palace fans than Albion. The crowds at the Amex have been amazing from day one (atmosphere not always so good). We do have a big catchment area and probably could add another 5k onto most Prem games if the stadium was expanded.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think that was more gloating Palace fans than Albion. The crowds at the Amex have been amazing from day one (atmosphere not always so good). We do have a big catchment area and probably could add another 5k onto most Prem games if the stadium was expanded.
I did remember them as well, recently still boring us. Using our restrictive, borrowed athletics ground with no money for players, as THE litmus test of our historical fanbase.

Jul 7, 2003

Brentford on Boxing Day🙂

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Charlton v Portsmouth on the box this evening….away end quite full…more so than the one opposite ….the stand facing the cameras maybe a few hundred? Stand with cameras seems well packed …still a reasonable atmosphere

Charlton three up

Last edited:

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
I think the empty seats are more scattered at the Amex than whole blocks and that might be down to the way seats are sold. Hence the stadium looks less empty.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Slightly off topic but fans related, with fuel prices and inflation etc, surprised the FA didn’t regionalise the FA Cup first round draw?

Some long trips for the hardcore supporters.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Maybe, and rightly so, it’s through blue and white spectacles…
No. Divisions are sometimes distorted by a Sunderland or a Derby but overall attendances for football in EFL and National Leagues are now higher than pre pandemic …especially in lower leagues .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here