Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Early contender for Lawsuit of the year?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Lol - that’s a circular argument if ever there was one - no prosecution case occurred at the time (because child abuse cases are typically filed retrospectively and the State can’t prosecute if a charge has not been made) therefore no crime was committed - if no crime was committed, therefore no abuse took place.

I’m glad you are not my Lawyer 😉

(ps - just pointing out a fallacious argument being used to argue that a ‘crime was not committed‘ , not making any value judgments on the ‘Romeo & Juliette case)
the state is obliged to prosecute if there is prima facie criminal case to be heard. a court will then determine if it proceeds, guilt etc. this was on camera there is no question of whether it happened or not, unlike most cases of abuse behind closed doors. point is the allegation doesn't/didn't apparently meet the level to be prosecuted under state law, this is a civil case for damages.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What would happen to someone with nude pictures of a 15yo on their computer?

There’s your answer.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I bloody hope not, although the person who abused me is long gone, and I hope it was slow and painful.
Sympathise with you. However in 2018 she spoke positively about the film and the director.
Questionable as to if the nudity at her age was appropriate but it is odd to bring it up now.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
the state is obliged to prosecute if there is prima facie criminal case to be heard. a court will then determine if it proceeds, guilt etc. this was on camera there is no question of whether it happened or not, unlike most cases of abuse behind closed doors. point is the allegation doesn't/didn't apparently meet the level to be prosecuted under state law, this is a civil case for damages.
Well you can’t prosecute a dead person, so in that respect, criminal prosecution is unlikely to succeed since Zefferelli would be the co-defendant and key witness!

But you are right, it is indeed a civil case against Paramount - I didnt clock that initially, as I was talking about the Statute of Limitations and didn’t open the link - as I said, I try to avoid making and judgments on cases that are sub judice whether criminal or civil.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Doesn’t matter. I think you would have to understand how such abuse affects people.
I am sorry but not having any experience of this, can you explain why both of them have waited over 50 years to bring a lawsuit and ignore previous interviews supporting what happened?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I am sorry but not having any experience of this, can you explain why both of them have waited over 50 years to bring a lawsuit and ignore previous interviews supporting what happened?
I can’t really do justice to an explanation of trauma on here. I would pay no attention to what has been said in the past because people carry stuff and it comes out in other ways. Best to just be sensitive.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Not really, expressed an opinion, which you clearly don’t agree with, but why the personal digs?
Exactly - that’s your job surely? 😂

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
An especially unpleasant hand grenade this one as well. To not understand that sexual abuse affects its victims for life is either ignorant or nasty.
Not a hand grenade just an opinion, clearly we have to agree to differ.

This is about money and publicity, as I said unfortunately you don’t agree, so it is what it is.

And I’m sorry you’ve suffered abuse, many have, but sadly some choose to stay silent.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Not a hand grenade just an opinion, clearly we have to agree to differ.

This is about money and publicity, as I said unfortunately you don’t agree, so it is what it is.

And I’m sorry you’ve suffered abuse, many have, but sadly some choose to stay silent.
I haven’t suffered abuse, no. That was a different poster. I don’t really have a different opinion on this case. I just don’t have an opinion on something best left to trained professionals. Where the sensitivity comes in is not judging from afar because that discourages others from coming forwards and that could include NSC posters.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I remember watching this and having a raging hard-on for Juliet, which seems sleazy now I know she was 15.

In my defence, it was c. 1991/2, so I was 13 or 14 at the time - we watched it in an English lesson at school.
Sue the school - disgraceful exposing you to that at such a young age!

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I'm pretty sure that's the film version of Romeo and Juliet we watched in English class at school. Oh dear...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here