Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dull, dull, dull, have we now become the dullest team to watch in the EPL?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Imagine the scenes on here if Burn and White are selected for the England squad [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Imagine the scenes on here if Burn and White are selected for the England squad [emoji23]

I was listening to the build up to Arsenal vs. Liverpool on 5Live last night (they weren't carrying our game apart from periodic reports, thank God) and the commentators and studio pundits were all saying White should be in the World Cup squad and that he is 100% a top class international footballer in terms of his reading of the game and playing style.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I am coming at it from, perhaps more of a cheery fan boy direction but I suspect we are now almost in the same place.

Easy to be be a “cheery fan boy” when you went to your friends house less than a minute from your own front door to watch Liverpool on tv and he went to watch his team fail yet again. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tbh I’m more irritated by the Burn sale than White’s, that was good business the Burn sale was inline with a deal done on the BBC’s apprentice [emoji2357]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I am coming at it from, perhaps more of a cheery fan boy direction but I suspect we are now almost in the same place.

Well, it's pretty clear that TB and our senior management are bought into Potter long term and also clear that we will not be splashing out big money on new players and will take offers for our players that are somewhere between "good" and "ridiculous". And that's fine, his money, his ball. But don't expect Europe and Top Ten. Don't expect top fourteen. Expect a max of three more season of this purgatory followed by relegation. What's known as the "Stoke and West Brom" model.

Or maybe the new players we've already acquired are seen as the answer, But then why put them on the bench? Trossard isn't performing, Biss isn't performing, March isn't good enough. What are Sarmiento, Caciedo et al going to learn sitting on a chair, neither playing PL2 nor EPL?

Of course, buyer beware even there, because we appear to have ruined a 24 year old keeper by telling him to play like a Man City player and protecting him with an out of form Dunk and Duffy who wasn't good enough for Monkey Tennis.

Arrgh. :facepalm:

Jul 7, 2003
We miss anyone who can break the lines. Webster does it when fit, Trossard used to do it, Lalana can do it sometimes when fit, Lamptey can do it but more often than not checks back.

I've said a few times recently that are also missing Mwepo as someone who is a bit different in our midfield and pushes on at pace into the opposition defence. .

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I’m just not buying into the view that our players are not up to scratch.

Like Palace, we have a tremendous level of potential and players (Biss, Trossard, Lamptey, Sanchez, Cucurella, Dunk) have until recently played other teams off the park.

What we have is a manager, who despite overseeing some glorious victories, is unable to adapt to the way other teams are now setting up against us. Watching Albion incessantly ping the ball about and ultimately end back at the keeper, dominate possession, yet keep failing to score or even draw games, demonstrates a system failure. This is exacerbated by some oddball team selections and subs (please do everyone a favour and refrain from picking March EVER).

Sadly it now looks like the team has lost complete faith in the ‘system’ and until that changes, we look destined to keep falling…

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
As with [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] on the other thread, we have to stop obsessing about managers.

Just look at what has been going on. We sold £63m worth of defenders in the last 2 windows. Both outstanding players in our ranks. We didn't replace at CB. We didn't add in attack, if anything we weakened there too with loans going out. These are the tools for a manager that prefers to play with 3 CBs and wing backs.

We haven't added a goal threat in any of the last 4 transfer windows. Again, it has been plainly obvious we lack goals. Do we honestly believe, and I know some on these boards do believe this, that you can just coach natural goal scoring instincts into players. News Flash: you can't, you can improve players through coaching, you cannot transform them, they bring with them their natural attributes and you work on improving and developing those.

And so we've had all 3 remaining out and out CBs injured over the winter, one still injured, Dunk probably came back too early because he had to. We weaken in Jan, our footballing director goes (I have no idea if that has effected anyone or not) and we're arguing over what the manager has done wrong. What about this elephant at the back of the room?

If Bloom lets GP go, then make no mistake unless things radically change then it will be more of the same. Maybe a honeymoon period bounce or something.

Thumbs Up!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
In the cold light of day and having had time to reflect, it was still effing dull to watch.

Lallana is a luxury we can do without. Pointless having a game plan including him when he can't last the pace. Gross isn't creating the chances that he is there to do. Thought Bissouma was having one of his better games so didn't quite understand why he was taken off. Surely when we were two down, the options were Mwepu or Sarmiento? Pointless putting Welbeck on when no chances were really being created for the front line.

Won't be going to City but will have to endure this for the other 8 games!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well, it's pretty clear that TB and our senior management are bought into Potter long term and also clear that we will not be splashing out big money on new players and will take offers for our players that are somewhere between "good" and "ridiculous". And that's fine, his money, his ball. But don't expect Europe and Top Ten. Don't expect top fourteen. Expect a max of three more season of this purgatory followed by relegation. What's known as the "Stoke and West Brom" model.

Or maybe the new players we've already acquired are seen as the answer, But then why put them on the bench? Trossard isn't performing, Biss isn't performing, March isn't good enough. What are Sarmiento, Caciedo et al going to learn sitting on a chair, neither playing PL2 nor EPL?

Of course, buyer beware even there, because we appear to have ruined a 24 year old keeper by telling him to play like a Man City player and protecting him with an out of form Dunk and Duffy who wasn't good enough for Monkey Tennis.

Arrgh. :facepalm:

:lolol:

I am avoiding the equivalent of your pain by burying my head in the sand (marking essays helps).

There is a brief peried between stopping working and the second glass of wine when I start thinking:

"Aaaargh. Zulus. Thaaahsands of them" (metaphorically speaking).

Then I pop down my mate's to watch some other poor ******** lose on the tellybox, and later pop another Poirot DVD in the machine and drift off into a world of 1939s pre-war murder and intrigue.

It's life, captain Guinness, but not as we know it :wink:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I haven't watched it back, but it looked like he had time to get to the ball and clear for the second goal, but fatally hesitated.

Probably covered elsewhere but...

I thought that too, but have just watched and it's not so clear cut. If Sanchez came out, Kane would 100% of played for the penalty.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Dull, predictable and pointless (literally) football. Need to try a total change of team, tactics, tempo and attitude vs Norwich or it's going to be toxic.

Yesterday the football was tedious, timid, tepid and toothless.

I thought that the "expert commentator" on Sky made some very good points about Brightons approach, weaknesses and (potential) solutions, unfortunately I can't remember his name :lolol:

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Not sure it was dull, just a bit toothless and clueless. There was a brief period where Biss got properly stuck in, but that was about it. I remember a cup game away at Spurs some years ago (we were still in the Championship and Ulloa put in a guest appearance in the crowd). We were always a yard behind them and looked devoid of ideas. They were so much sharper than us in that game and I recall saying to Jnr that we would be in a spot or bother if promoted and having to play teams like this every week!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here