Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Double Edged Sword - Riley steps down PGMOL

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61937045

The guy has overseen, in my opinion, a serious decline in the quality of our referees and hopefully him leaving the post will see an improvement however, what chance that Atkinson/Dean or, even worse, Mason, get's the gig.

Apologies if this has already been posted but I couldn't see anything.

Agree, Riley has been awful for the game. He's presided over a complete fudge of implementing VAR and went against how IFAB said it should be used :facepalm:

Personally I think it's a structural problem, PGMOL has too much power, the tail is wagging the dog. The chances of it's leader being a complete tosser and one of the crapper ex-referees are statistically very high, given the pool to choose from! Someone needs power over them to stop them making a mess, currently I don't believe anyone has and that is a mental state of affairs.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

The guy has overseen, in my opinion, a serious decline in the quality of our referees and hopefully him leaving the post will see an improvement however, what chance that Atkinson/Dean or, even worse, Mason, get's the gig.

Isn't Howard Webb getting the job? Or is it some other role?

Anyway, whn it comes to refs I think one of these must be true: never in history has there been a good one, or people generally underestimate the difficulty of the job.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Looks like no chance of your options. Howard Webb looks set to take up the role from December.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Good, glad Riley is going.

The standard is crap, the consistency is crap, VAR is crap…..

The idea of importing a third rate Aussie was nuts as well…….

It surely can only get better, I’m all for Rachel Riley taking over……

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well I wasn't aware about Webb. Think he at least got to a higher level than Riley (still can't understand how he missed an assault on Alonso by de Jong!) and as a ref, he did appear to have the respect of the players.

We can only hope but like some have said, it can't get any worse.......surely?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well I wasn't aware about Webb. Think he at least got to a higher level than Riley (still can't understand how he missed an assault on Alonso by de Jong!) and as a ref, he did appear to have the respect of the players.

We can only hope but like some have said, it can't get any worse.......surely?

Not least did he have respect from all the refs. In my yoof I was a young writer at the Allsvenskan pre season meeting and as the rookie I got the graceful job of interviewing the group of refs attending. I asked "Who is your role model as a ref? Who is the greatest ref of all time... Collina?" They said Collina had good body language but otherwise wasn't anything special in terms of positioning etc. Once someone brought up Howard Webb however, they all agreed he was the best out there.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Definitely more of us on this thread disappointed that there aren't more photos of Rachel than those interested in referees.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here