Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Do goldfish mourn?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That depends if you consider things like aggression, territorial habits, fry protection an emotional response to an environment or situation.

Is a fish that comes up to an owner and likes to be petted like a dog or cat showing an emotional reaction to something it enjoys?

They are not emotions. They are instinctual reactions. They cannot be tempered or subdued like emotions.

When fish come up to the surface towards an owners hand it’s because they think are being fed.

Of course, I could be wrong. We could all be the same life-force just in a different shape and I would like that to be true in many ways.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Marine Scientists are finding out that fish are more intelligent than we always thought. This I took from an online article.
“Hundreds of scientific papers about fish intelligence show that these animals are smart, that they can use tools, and that they have impressive long-term memories and sophisticated social structures. A paper published in the journal Fish and Fisheries said that they’re “steeped in social intelligence … exhibiting stable cultural traditions, and cooperating to inspect predators and catch food.”

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Aquatic shop.
A new fish might introduce microbes which could kill off your existing fish.

I bought four fish over ten years ago, and now there’s just one left. He refuses to die and just grows. He thrives on neglect, which is a good job, as my other half forgets to clean the tank regularly.

It's very sad that this fish is being neglected. If you purchase a pet the very least you should do is make it's life as comfortable as possible. If your husband isn't regularly cleaning the tank, then would it hurt you to do it occasionally? Surely you should look to find it a home where it would be cared for properly if not.. It's only got one life and deserves to be looked after. I couldn't relax in a home where a pet was being neglected.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My goldfish's little fishy friend has just died. They'd been together for 3 years. He is looking very sad, and seems to be searching for his friend. Do goldfish experience grief, or am I just being silly and soppy?

PS - I'm going to the fish shop tomorrow to buy him a new fishy friend.

kHOEBIewslGRBkmqGq0anueUQwEToWSA24bmzk-QFR4.jpg

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Update - my goldfish has a new friend. They seem to be getting on really well, it's very sweet. Haven't decided what to call him yet. Maybe Ketty, or Robbie, or maybe even Shteve. Who knows, perhaps I'll surprise myself and think of something really random.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here