[Football] Do Argentina keep the trophy now they've won it three times?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Didn't the original Fantasy Football League show make their own World Cup with someone holding an orange or grapefruit and plunging their arm into a container of cold custard?

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
not unless the Argies get themselves in a pickle and steel the trophy but that would just be barking mad

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Italy won it in 34, 38 and 82, so no.
But just to throw a spanner in the works, they were two different trophies. (34 and 38 Jules Rimet Trophy, 82, FIFA World Cup). But yes, Herr Tubthumper is right, when the new trophy was introduced in 1974 the rules were changed to say that it could no longer be won in perpetuity.

EDIT, too slow. Mr 49er got there before me!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Gianni Infantino would definitely see merit in letting Argentina keep it.

Then he can SELL the design and sponsorship rights to a new one. Can’t wait to see the winning captain hoisting a giant gold Bud Light bottle above his head in 4 years’ time.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Gianni Infantino would definitely see merit in letting Argentina keep it.

Then he can SELL the design and sponsorship rights to a new one. Can’t wait to see the winning captain hoisting a giant gold Bud Light bottle above his head in 4 years’ time.
Many a true word is spoken in jest 😂

That said with the German issue clarified on here, can’t see a U turn even from FIFA.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
What with Messi sleeping with it, I can see an adoption attempt being made...

A new trophy fills me full of fear, it’ll probably feature Infantino’s face or some such horrors...

Fingers crossed Messi gives it back, or things will get ugly, garish and just plain shite.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Pretty certain that when they gave the Jules Rimet to Brazil, the rule was changed with the introduction of the new trophy for 1974.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What with Messi sleeping with it, I can see an adoption attempt being made...

A new trophy fills me full of fear, it’ll probably feature Infantino’s face or some such horrors...

Fingers crossed Messi gives it back, or things will get ugly, garish and just plain shite.
That will have been the copy given to the winners after FIFA have taken back the original post match.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Brazil got to keep the trophy after their 3rd win, but seeing as it was then stolen (again) and has never been recovered probably put FIFA off from permanently awarding the trophy to a nation again

Where's the Brazilian Pickles ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports