Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Did I hear booing at the Bridge?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It was very muted at the end of the game last night and it certainly sounded like there were a few muffled boos. Surely not. The Messiah's first game and some weren't happy? He did look a bit ruffled at the end. Not the usual relaxed demeanour and calm interview. A bit distracted.
Anyway it was good to see that he is getting to work with them. Plenty of possession based stuff, followed by a nice collection of missed chances. Pity a certain Bernardo ( ex of this parish ) erred for the Chelsea goal. A Salzburg win would have rounded off the evening nicely.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Think you’ve posted this on the wrong forum.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Yes - there was booing. Any manager who is not wanted from the start is doomed.

Potter you're a mercenary and dull pr*ck.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Of all the comments from Chelsea fans on their forum I only saw about 20 odd saying Potter out, out of hundreds. He'll be ok for a few more weeks.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Potters career will be full of projects he didn’t finish.

A football manager's project is never "finished" unless they leave it or are fired. Even Ferguson and Wenger didn't finish their project at Man United and Arsenal because football goes on forever.

Back on the booing, I do think it's very interesting to watch Potter's tenure at Chelsea. The simple fact is that the only person who wants him there is Todd Boehly. The fans want Tuchel back, they didn't think he should have been sacked and any new manager was coming into a fiery reception where fan sentiment isn't on their side. If things start slowly, we'll really see just how committed Boehly is to his new manager.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I reckon some of those Chelsea fans need a history lesson. They were in the second division quite a bit in the 80s.

go on Graham, you tell them

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
When is "a project" finished for a football manager? When the world ends? When the football club is dissolved?
When a manger has took a club at a certain level as high as they can. Who knows where we would of ended up this season, after three seasons it looked like he had finally got the tactics right strong at the back scoring goals. I think he jumped ship to early get Brighton into Europe and he could of had his pick of top clubs. It was mentioned Liverpool were keeping a close eye.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
When I heard Henry Winter on R4 speaking about Chelsea's "missed chances" last night I will admit to having a little chuckle.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
When a manger has took a club at a certain level as high as they can. Who knows where we would of ended up this season, after three seasons it looked like he had finally got the tactics right strong at the back scoring goals. I think he jumped ship to early get Brighton into Europe and he could of had his pick of top clubs. It was mentioned Liverpool were keeping a close eye.

What if there is no ceiling? Then the "project" is never finished. Ok you take them to Europe and the neo-Intertot cup or whatever the **** it is called... and then it looks possible to get into Europa League, and so forth. It never ends.

I'm sure all of the top clubs were keeping a close eye but who knows what things look like in 3 or 4 years when Klopp leaves?

Opportunities like the one he got definitely doesn't come too often.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

But what if right now WAS the peak of the Potter / Albion era. We are 4th in the PL, despite a few big player sales - his personal stock might never be higher. It just might have been all downhill from there. He got offered a 'top club' and took his opportunity. Galling as it is for us, it was probably right for HIM to do so.

And you say he could have had his pick of the top clubs. Perhaps of the top clubs, Chelsea would have been his preferred choice anyway? They are after all, the only one he can do without uprooting his family again.

He's got his work cut out though, as it is a very unusual situation. Not only were the majority of Chelsea fans happy with the manager they had, but in contrast to the timing of most mid-season managerial appointments, Chelsea were not in a particularly poor run of results. All that means he is going to be afforded very little slack by their fans, and media. If you take over a club 'in crisis' you can blame the first month of poor results on the previous boss. He doesn't have that safety net. He really needs a decent start, or he could be irreparably damaged before he even gets going.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here