Dick Knights PR machine..........

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Half an hour to go until the end of the working day, after the biggest announcement of the last 3 years. The fans have many questions that need answering yet.......................................................................................................................................................................

All is silent.

This is what pisses me off the most, more than the mistakes re hinsh, holiday etc.

I get this horrible feeling that we are being taken for granted.

Dick you OWE us an explanation. Remember what happened to the last lot who thought they could ignore us as it didn't matter what the fans thought?

WE are the life and breath of this club and you are held accountable by US for your decisions.

I know you have someone that reads this site for the general attitude of the fans and I think I speak for most of us when I say

"WE DEMAND AN OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM THE CLUB REGARDING THE ZAMORA TRANSFER BEFORE THE DAY IS OUT."

Rant over.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Like Christmas it's coming. We all know that the clubs PR is crap but look at the monkey they have as a press officer.

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Firstly... thanks to Bobby Zamora for three great years and some of the most memorable moments ever.

Thanks to Micky Adams and Dick Knight for bringing him here - because I never believed we'd get him after seeing him on loan! Good luck Bobby, you deserve your chance in the top flight!

IN RESPONSE TO THOSE OF YOUR COMMENTS, HERE ARE THE FACTS:

6.50pm last night... Spurs (or Sky Sports who own a stake in them) announced the transfer on the Spurs website last night without even having the courtesy of actually letting Brighton know.

Most clubs will complete the deal, then announce in tandem at specified time.

This is how the vast majority of clubs operate. (Okay, you guys on here will slag the club site off for being 'late' with news, but it's a club policy that Brighton will not announce any transfer news until a deal has been completed.)

The media can say what they like, and do by using such terms as "Sky Sports understands..." or "Bobby Zamora is set to sign..." but the club have to be a little bit more careful.

Spurs however, with a reputation of being unscrupulous in transfer dealings (ask Sam Allardyrce about it!), were desparate to show they're fans they can keep up with their London rivals by making big signings released the story.

Note, at this point, the transfer was not finalised - and certainly no contract between the clubs was signed! This was not done until late this afternoon.

8pm last night... Zamora's agent (John Smith) goes live on Sky to give an interview. (He said Zamora is a Spurs fan, funny that he always said he was a West Ham supporter.) He also said it wasn't for his company to release details of the fee, that was for the club's to reveal. However, his brother Phil Smith, also of First Artists, told the Argus (last night) it was £1.5m before it had been finalised - at this point the proposed deal is still not complete and does not include a sell-on clause - in fact he hasn't even agreed personal terms.

Late last night... Zamora agrees personal terms and has passed a medical earlier that day - still no agreement between the clubs.

9am today... Spurs announce a 2pm press conference, and tell BBC London Live they can have an exclusive first interview with Zamora. Still no deal signed between the clubs though.

Late this afternoon... The two clubs eventually finalise the deal, on completing the deal faxed confirmation to Spurs. Brighton then posted the news on the official website and then filed press reports. Yet Spurs still have just a one-liner on their site stating they have signed Bobby - as they had last night!

FINALLY...

You're all quite right, Albion didn't have to sell Bobby, but he is an ambitious young player who wants to play at the top level. You have to respect what the player has done or the club, and in doing that, allow him the chance to fulfil ambitions. The fact of the matter is that the market has dropped and in today's market a player like Bobby (unproven at the highest level) has a value of £1.5m.

As for the question marks over the supposed £3m bid from Everton...

HERE ARE THE FACTS...

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Everton never actual bid £3m, it was a very casual inquiry around 18 months ago on a chairman-to-chairman basis, and at the time Bobby was being valued at around £4m by most papers, and £5m by most fans.

In addition I ask the question to anyone moaning about it... Would you have sold Bobby Zamora while we chasing the Second Division Championship for £3m? The fans would have gone ape!

Chances are you would have bided your time - nobody knew ITV were going to go bust and the market was going to crash.

PS: I can also reveal the club will soon start spending some of that money, and one helluva an exciting signing is being lined up and likely to be announced around noon tomorrow and he will play at Crawley!

Insider said:
[PS: I can also reveal the club will soon start spending some of that money, and one helluva an exciting signing is being lined up and likely to be announced around noon tomorrow and he will play at Crawley! [/B]

It needs to be something along the lines we steal van Nistelrooy from man Utd to perk me up

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What about a sell on clause? Not to include one would be gross incompetence and as far as I am aware nothing has been announced regarding this.

For me this is would be the only sop for the sale of BZ.

I understand the reasons that he had to go but cannot believe that we could let him go without ensuring any gain Spurs make filters down to us.

Apologies I have just read the thread on the Albion Press release-
excellent

Last edited:

Jul 7, 2003
Story on the club site confirms that a sell on clause has been put into the deal.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I am dubious of this insider's words, but that doesn't mean it hasn't polished my imagination enough for it to start going crazy with excitement about a possible signing.

Damn you Insider.
:D

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
insider, were you referring to Ben Roberts, or is there another surprise waiting for us?:clap:

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Funnily enough just after my rant Dicks statement appeared on the site!

Feeling better now after the Roberts signing but would still like to know the amount of the sell on clause.

???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports