Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Dark Star to leave Sussex

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Do you mean Firebird at Rugwick?

The new boys in Horsham are the Horsham Brewery run by the 2 guys who took over the Horsham beer festival from dear old Gareth, very much learning the trade but they are to be encouraged and supported. We lost Chapeau last month.
Doh. Yes Firebrand is down the West

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yep, but even cask Doom Bar seems to have a totally different recipe now.
No Doom Bar is the same recipe but the brewing process has changed slightly. With the decline in ale drinking as a whole, NSC appears to buck that trend, to appeal to the younger drinker much the same as Guinness Molson Coors decided to chill Doom Bar down to 8 degrees. The problem then is getting a chill haze. This is caused by proteins in the beer. Therefore the brewing changed. Also to make it easier to keep the second fermentation was reduced allowing it to condition much quicker. This creates a clear bright looking ale but to me it is often served too early and therefore tastes young. If left for another 24 hours the complexity, for what it is, would develop, giving a fuller flavour.

As with many ales to keep the flavour in bottles it brewed for slightly longer and more yeast introduced. This means it's 4.3% abv as opposed to 4% as a draft. The process of pasteurisation loses some of the flavour, so it's a balancing act. This is why new processes are being introduced that keeps the full body of the Beer present after the brewing process has been stopped. There is always going to a difference between the live version and the dead bottled one. Worthington White Shield is still the only bottled beer, mainstream, that is considered a real ale in a bottle.

For a standard session ale Boom Bar has its place, being at least considered an ale unlike Green King IPA which is a coloured water, at best. I prefer more complex ales so rarely drink a 4% ale unless I'm in for a long day.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The new boys in Horsham are the Horsham Brewery run by the 2 guys who took over the Horsham beer festival from dear old Gareth, very much learning the trade but they are to be encouraged and supported. We lost Chapeau last month.
It's a shame about Chapeau. It does though highlight the ever changing position locally.

While some wanted to hit back at Asahi and to a degree what I posted yesterday. There's plenty of small breweries around and while some are developing craft style beers that are borne out of the new hops from across the pond, there's plenty of real ale producers.

Around me in Hurst Green I have Battle Brewery, Rother Valley, Old Dairy, Filo, Three Legged and on and on.

Dark Star like others expanded quickly and got noticed. It sold out and has now become a brand. To a greater degree Fullers has done so too. It's why Fullers is brewing less seasonal ales but concentrating on its main ones. This is simply due to the exposure it gets worldwide with Asahi. All of the breweries Asahi own produce far more beers than we see here. Peroni brew some great beers which I'm fortunate to be able to get but while some are available from some suppliers they are not readily seen.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No Doom Bar is the same recipe but the brewing process has changed slightly. With the decline in ale drinking as a whole, NSC appears to buck that trend, to appeal to the younger drinker much the same as Guinness Molson Coors decided to chill Doom Bar down to 8 degrees. The problem then is getting a chill haze. This is caused by proteins in the beer. Therefore the brewing changed. Also to make it easier to keep the second fermentation was reduced allowing it to condition much quicker. This creates a clear bright looking ale but to me it is often served too early and therefore tastes young. If left for another 24 hours the complexity, for what it is, would develop, giving a fuller flavour.

As with many ales to keep the flavour in bottles it brewed for slightly longer and more yeast introduced. This means it's 4.3% abv as opposed to 4% as a draft. The process of pasteurisation loses some of the flavour, so it's a balancing act. This is why new processes are being introduced that keeps the full body of the Beer present after the brewing process has been stopped. There is always going to a difference between the live version and the dead bottled one. Worthington White Shield is still the only bottled beer, mainstream, that is considered a real ale in a bottle.

For a standard session ale Boom Bar has its place, being at least considered an ale unlike Green King IPA which is a coloured water, at best. I prefer more complex ales so rarely drink a 4% ale unless I'm in for a long day.
Thanks, that explains a lot.. the problem I have is that so often it seems that only the worst beer that a brewery has in its range gets produced in big numbers. Fullers had some crackers but mostly all you can get on draught is London Pride and ESB....used to love Bengal Lancer..apart from The Basketmakers it's hard to find...similar for the Adnams Brewery..lots of nice beers but usually only found in bottles, a pint of draught Broadside is majestic !

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Last resort in wetherspoons?
Is the cask Doom Bar all brewed in Cornwall? I'd heard "somewhere" that the stuff served in pubs north of Bristol-ish is brewed in Burton, but have no idea where I came across that.
Last resort in wetherspoons?
Is the cask Doom Bar all brewed in Cornwall? I'd heard "somewhere" that the stuff served in pubs north of Bristol-ish is brewed in Burton, but have no idea where I came across that.
All draft is brewed in Rock, bottled in Burton.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Coors Brewery in Burton is massive. 20 years ago I worked for a logistics company and was part of the design/proposals team that sold them conveying and palletising machinery . . . 4 machines initially, that can handle up to 220 case per minute, each. A constant flow of mass produced alcoholic fizzy piss.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Coors Brewery in Burton is massive. 20 years ago I worked for a logistics company and was part of the design/proposals team that sold them conveying and palletising machinery . . . 4 machines initially, that can handle up to 220 case per minute, each. A constant flow of mass produced alcoholic fizzy piss.
Marstons in Burton has gone down the nick as well, Burton Bridge Brewery beers are still lovely but you have to be in a 40 mile radius of Burton-on-Trent to find them (outside of Beer Festivals).

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
When in the US (2002) I got taken to the Coors Brewery in Cincinnati, to see all the machinery at full tilt, it made Burton look like a corner shop. The Brewery manager took us to lunch . . . A 'pub' round the corner which was also a micro brewery, I never knew Americans made real beer Until that point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here