Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Darius Danesh dies aged 41

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
True, it is - but maybe on threads such as these, where the OP os rushing to start a thread to proclaim that XYZ has died, the OP has some responsibility to put in a few biographical details for the many (quite often a majorty) who have never heard of the deceased before just leaving the thread hanging for people to add RIPs to?

No, this is bollocks.

Either you know who it is, and add something fitting, or you don't, and simply don't post on the thread.

:rolleyes:

RIP Darius

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
True, it is - but maybe on threads such as these, where the OP os rushing to start a thread to proclaim that XYZ has died, the OP has some responsibility to put in a few biographical details for the many (quite often a majorty) who have never heard of the deceased before just leaving the thread hanging for people to add RIPs to?

Or you could have saved yourself 3 posts and just googled the mans name as suggested:facepalm:

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
No, this is bollocks.

Either you know who it is, and add something fitting, or you don't, and simply don't post on the thread.

RIP Darius

I agree. There are many ‘RIP’ threads where I haven’t heard of the deceased so don’t post on them.

In this instance I say RIP Darius. Gone way too soon❤️

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Remember him well from 20 years ago :eek: . Came across on tv as a likeable bloke with a huge ego.... who still managed to be likeable. Much too young an age to pass away, saddened to hear it.

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020
RIP Darius. Took big Rik Waller's place on the show as well.

This thread reminds me of an NSC fan who loves Gary Barlow? Did I dream this up, or is there someone that gets really defensive about how good Gary Barlow is?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Google, it's a search engine you may have heard of!!!

Never use google… they are building profiles on everyone so when the bombs drop they know who to save and who can take their chances against the mutant animals!

Wibble.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Now I remember him. Really good voice I seem to recall. But tainted by the instant celebrity tag accorded to pop idol/ Simon Cowell “ discoveries”.

Having said all that 41 is no age!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No, this is bollocks.

I'm not so sure about that. There's an internet trope 'hey, it's that guy'. They are actors/celebrities that people see a lot of, but don't necessarily know their names. They're often character actors that pop up in lots of films you like but whose name you've never learned. Singers of a song you've always known, but never knew the name of the person who sings it. Or writers (songs/film/television) who have created something you love, something that had a notable impact, but because the thing was sold on the name of the singer/main star etc.

If I were to mention Al Leong, I imagine most people wouldn't have a clue who he is.

He is a stunt man and actor who was in Big Trouble in Little China, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, They Live, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Hot Shots part deux, Beverly Hills Cop 3, Godzilla, and is considered by many to be one of the most recognisable henchmen in a certain generation of action movies so would, I'm sure, be recognised by more people if some more info is provided than just by name.

This is him, by the way. I don't know much about you, so I've no idea if you're the sort of generation to recognise him, but I am confident a lot of the people that thought 'who?' when reading the name above had an inkling when reading that list of films and with the picture are now think 'oh, him!'/'Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of!'

https://miro.medium.com/max/1200/1*9-td30Bd1NDWfZZsVbeMYA.png

Sometimes knowing a little bit about the person can help you recognise that while the name isn't familiar, they have had an impact on your life in some small way.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Very sad to hear this yesterday. I remember him from the early talent shows, but never realised what a good career he carved out for himself since.

It probably shouldn't be of interest, considering the story, but I found it odd that he was found at his place in Rochester, Minnesota.
Not usually somewhere you would find a celeb living - especially a Brit. Rochester is a small town stuck right out in the middle of nowhere in the Midwest, with not much going on.
Must've enjoyed the quiet life away from the stage.

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'm not so sure about that. There's an internet trope 'hey, it's that guy'. They are actors/celebrities that people see a lot of, but don't necessarily know their names. They're often character actors that pop up in lots of films you like but whose name you've never learned. Singers of a song you've always known, but never knew the name of the person who sings it. Or writers (songs/film/television) who have created something you love, something that had a notable impact, but because the thing was sold on the name of the singer/main star etc.

If I were to mention Al Leong, I imagine most people wouldn't have a clue who he is.

He is a stunt man and actor who was in Big Trouble in Little China, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, They Live, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Hot Shots part deux, Beverly Hills Cop 3, Godzilla, and is considered by many to be one of the most recognisable henchmen in a certain generation of action movies so would, I'm sure, be recognised by more people if some more info is provided than just by name.

This is him, by the way. I don't know much about you, so I've no idea if you're the sort of generation to recognise him, but I am confident a lot of the people that thought 'who?' when reading the name above had an inkling when reading that list of films and with the picture are now think 'oh, him!'/'Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of!'

https://miro.medium.com/max/1200/1*9-td30Bd1NDWfZZsVbeMYA.png

Sometimes knowing a little bit about the person can help you recognise that while the name isn't familiar, they have had an impact on your life in some small way.

So, in your example, instead of typing "who?" on an RIP thread of that individual I would, personally either

1 - Not care who it is and stay quiet
2 - Feel the need to know how they are, google it and if it turns out I did know them, decide whether I wanted to contribute to the thread.

Simply opening a RIP thread to inform everyone you don't know who they are by typing "who!?" is bizarre.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So, in your example, instead of typing "who?" on an RIP thread of that individual I would, personally either

1 - Not care who it is and stay quiet
2 - Feel the need to know how they are, google it and if it turns out I did know them, decide whether I wanted to contribute to the thread.

Simply opening a RIP thread to inform everyone you don't know who they are by typing "who!?" is bizarre.

And that is fine. For you. Wouldn't it be nicer if there was a line or two in the OP that saved you the effort/time of googling?

Isn't it also nicer for those that would ignore the thread because they don't know the name, but because there was that small paragraph it made them realise they knew that person - they were in that film they went to watch on a first date with their now spouse (or whatever) and they can add their own comment.

Edit to add:
Simply opening a RIP thread to inform everyone you don't know who they are by typing "who!?" is bizarre
Totally agree with that. For me it's in the same category as opening threads to let everyone know you don't care about the topic being discussed.

Last edited:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Very sad to hear this yesterday. I remember him from the early talent shows, but never realised what a good career he carved out for himself since.

It probably shouldn't be of interest, considering the story, but I found it odd that he was found at his place in Rochester, Minnesota.
Not usually somewhere you would find a celeb living - especially a Brit. Rochester is a small town stuck right out in the middle of nowhere in the Midwest, with not much going on.

I thought that was a bit unusual as well. You would expect someone in show business to live in LA or New York. As you say, must have valued his privacy

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I thought that was a bit unusual as well. You would expect someone in show business to live in LA or New York. As you say, must have valued his privacy

I've just had a quick search, & apparently Gerard Butler has been seen there regularly - as well as Ivanka Trump just last week...so maybe its not such a quiet backwater place as I thought!
Also voted one of the best places to live in the US. Who woulda thunk it?!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

I've just had a quick search, & apparently Gerard Butler has been seen there regularly - as well as Ivanka Trump just last week...so maybe its not such a quiet backwater place as I thought!
Also voted one of the best places to live in the US. Who woulda thunk it?!

The Mayo Clinic is situated in Rochester, Minnesota and the building Darius was found in is opposite the clinic and has a lot of short term rental apartments used by people being treated there but not requiring a hospital stay. There is some speculation that he may be been in Rochester for a medical treatment/procedure but nothing is confirmed at the moment.

The fact the Mayo Clinic is considered a world class medical facility could explain the celeb spotting as they can afford that best in class treatment.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
[MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] et al, how have you got the time and energy to expend on this stuff!? ???

I'm surprised our representative from Sweden hasn't shown up and given us the benefit of his vast knowledge on the subject, just like everything else :eek:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
[MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] et al, how have you got the time and energy to expend on this stuff!? ???

How much energy do you use to type a few very short paragraphs? It's not exactly a triathlon. (Also, I only have a little on my plate at work at the moment)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here