Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The MOM award seems to be a standing joke. Invariably it seems to be awarded to whoever our goalscorers are. I find it hard to take seriously.

It's not a standing joke. Just a revenue stream. Unless Alan Hansen and Lawro decide to take a box it isn't to be taken seriously.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Let's be fair about it, no-one played particularly well. Singling DS out seems a bit odd though as he was clearly one of the better performers, and scored arguably one of the best goals we've seen at home this season.

What hacked me off (apart from one of the most inept refereeing performances I've seen in a long time - and I rarely moan about refs) was the consistently appalling decision making from virtually all our players. The game was riddled with wrong choices for passes be it short, long, diagonal, backwards, forwards etc.
As a team they got it very very wrong all game long. I don't know whether to blame the coach or just unintelligent footballers though!

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Ward had so many bad passes you can't have been watching properly. Stephens had a good first half scored a great goal at the start of second half and was involved in many things - its true a few of his passes went astray mid second half but it was hard to find a MOM out of anyone today.

Kas was OK till he went off.

Stephens was the only real choice

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ward had so many bad passes you can't have been watching properly. Stephens had a good first half scored a great goal at the start of second half and was involved in many things - its true a few of his passes went astray mid second half but it was hard to find a MOM out of anyone today.

Kas was OK till he went off.

Stephens was the only real choice
Mainly true, but only if you're going to conveniently forget the fact Oscar sent to team out to attack from the off and Stephens first 2 SHORT passes were straight to 6 foot tall tangerines.
We then didn't see the ball for another 5 minutes.

The only real choice after
Ward.
Bruno.
TK - Who had to be competent from their corners and free kicks, unlike 'Pools keeper.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
He was dreadful apart from that one moment and is a major reason why we have no cutting edge imo.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I wasn't at the game, but I can say with 100% certainty after reading this thread that

- Stephens was clearly MOM
- Stephens was DREADFUL
- Andrews was clearly MOM
- Andrews was DREADFUL
- Ward was clearly MOM

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Mainly true, but only if you're going to conveniently forget the fact Oscar sent to team out to attack from the off and Stephens first 2 SHORT passes were straight to 6 foot tall tangerines.
We then didn't see the ball for another 5 minutes.

The only real choice after
Ward.
Bruno.
TK - Who had to be competent from their corners and free kicks, unlike 'Pools keeper.

Ward - could have done better with a few passes
Bruno - Ok but little to do
TK - Both keepers had more to do in the warm up!

We should have been attacking ALL game

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
without the goal he was my MOM

funny how people see it
This thread does agree it wasn't a game for 'man of the match' awards.

With half a dozen positive contributions Stephens would have been mine, as well.
That's a pretty low benchmark, reflecting badly on the team.

Without them he was 1 goal and nothing, not motm material.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here