Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Croydon

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
That is very sad reading.
Children carrying knives anywhere at anytime is a reason to be concerned about the state of our society.
CPFC will be a beacon of hope for many young people in the local Croydon community.

It's not a time to laugh at them, let's stick to doing that when they lose.

(WQW, I'm not suggesting you were amused by their local community conditions, but some people may be)

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Knives are not funny at all, we can certainly agree there.
People on here rip Portslade for being a bit shit, let’s not turn down free ammo from a major broadcastor to rib our rivals.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Not only a rubbish football team, but a crap place to live anyway.

You tried to start this ugly thread this morning, only that time you disgustingly suggested that it was 'a good thing to have something else to banter Palace with' - helpfully adding a laughter emoji, for anyone who didn't appreciate how hilarious this all is. I deleted that thread, because it was offensive. Let's for now, let this one ride.

For balance though, here's some articles about youth knife crime in Melbourne.

and Brighton

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
When I went to visit Sutton United, I found walking the streets between West and East Croydon train stations late in the evening a very uneasy journey. If I had any cash on me held up at knifepoint I wouldn't want to be a risk-taking hero. :(

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I appreciate it's always been a sightly unfashionable place and had a higher crime rate than comparable sized towns but it used to have a busy and vibrant nightlife. Away from the loafer and moschino shirt hang outs like the blue orchid, South End had a host of bars and pubs with decent live music offerings. It also boasted something like the 3rd biggest shopping centre in the country where people would travel from far and wide.

It is now a shadow of its former self, empty shops terrible nightlife and massively unaffordable, affordability being one of its key selling points as well as its amazing travel links. I enjoyed many years lining there but you couldn’t pay me to move back.

If there was ever an example of what can happen when an area becomes a dumping ground for the most vulnerable members of our society, criminally under investment in policing and governed by one of the most inept local councils in the country look no further than Croydon.

The most depressingly reality is that Croydon's demise is being replicated across many towns in this country. A sad state of affairs IMHO

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Knives are not funny at all, we can certainly agree there.
People on here rip Portslade for being a bit shit, let’s not turn down free ammo from a major broadcastor to rib our rivals.
I’m not sure I’m understanding the point here at all.

Knife crime is sadly all too commonplace pretty much everywhere now.

As the dad of a 13-year-old lad who is seeking more freedom to go places with his mates, I find it utterly terrifying, not least with the relatively recent stabbing outside McDonalds here in Worthing - a place my son would frequent.

Laughing at anything to do with knife crime seems a very strange way to behave, and I’d like to think we’re all above that.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
OK, I apologise for getting this wrong. Of course. I do not find knife crime in itself in anyway funny, please see an earlier post on the sentencing about a knife related crime. Obviously I did not think long and hard enough how this would be perceived, my error. My intended point was more about the article pointing out that Croydon was one of the worst places to live, something that songs at matches have alluded to in the past.

It might be helpful in future if threads did not just disappear, I thought the site was having a technical glitch. If HK could have deleted AND sent me a PM I would not have come back and tried again. I realise that ‘it’s not your responsibility‘ etc, but it could have avoided further confusion.

As for Melbourne crime stats, I did not realise that there was a competition between two locations on opposite sides of the planet. Perhaps we could call it the A380 derby

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
The deeply depressing paras that jumped out for me was from the mother of two primary school kids:

"A mother of two primary school children from Manchester told the report's authors: "Pre-COVID, I was very much about getting the kids into school, you know, attendance was a big thing. Education was a major thing.

"After COVID, I'm not gonna lie to you, my take on attendance and absence now is like I don't really care anymore. Life's too short."

FFS what hope is there when that is the attitude of the parents.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here