Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Crazy Penalty Shootout

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Last night, I witnessed something I’d not seen before.
At the end of the women’s team’s game against West Ham, there was a penalty shootout.
After two penalties each, the referee and linesman had a discussion, called over the two captains and then moved to the other end!
From where I was sat, both ends looked as frosty as each other and I think they changed because the West Ham keeper complained that the ground was frozen.
Anyway, we won the shootout 3-0 (three great saves from Megan Walsh), but still got knocked out of the cup!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Don't follow the women's teams, but how can we get knocked out after winning the penalty shootout?

Reactions: SAC

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
It must also count as the most pointless penalty shoot out ever which made no difference to the outcome.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I read this as well. Seems there's no footage on the Albion site. You get 3 points for a win but an extra point if it's a draw and you win the penalty shoot out. Final score was 0:0 but all of this wasn't enough to give the Albion Ladies enough to get through to the next round.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
??? so there's a cup competition with group round. points for wins/draw as normal, there's penalties on a draw to ensure there's "a winner" in case is matters. even though progress in the competion is resolved at full time.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
??? so there's a cup competition with group round. points for wins/draw as normal, there's penalties on a draw to ensure there's "a winner" in case is matters. even though progress in the competion is resolved at full time.
Yes. The Men’s EFL trophy - in which Albion enter a U21 team - has the same set up.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Same format as the Papa John's Trophy, I think? Group matches that include a penalty shootout if there's a draw.
Ah ok. I did try to look but couldn't figure it out. Not got through to the knockout stages, makes sense

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I got told waving my arms behind the goalkeeper to distract the taker was 'not in the spirit of the game' by another supporter as I walked out the ground last night.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I got told waving my arms behind the goalkeeper to distract the taker was 'not in the spirit of the game' by another supporter as I walked out the ground last night.
What an incredibly sexist comment. He’s implying women are distracted more easily?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
If that's not in the spirit of the game, I wonder how that supporter copes with pretty much everything has that happens, or is said in the stands, at a men's game?
This - strikes me as infantilising women’s football, where the aim should be to present it as an equal to the men’s game. These are grown adults and professionals nowadays, it’s not like acting a prick at an under 8’s game.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
This - strikes me as infantilising women’s football, where the aim should be to present it as an equal to the men’s game. These are grown adults and professionals nowadays, it’s not like acting a prick at an under 8’s game.
Completely agree (although I would probably still do the same at an under 8s game).

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
A lot of people going to women's football doesn't want it to the be the same experience as the men's game because they feel they can do without grown adult-things such as screaming that the ref is a whore or a **** or (on the pitch) professional stuff like players diving when there's no contact or faking injuries for 90 minutes.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Indeed, the fairer sex can't have it both ways.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It must also count as the most pointless penalty shoot out ever which made no difference to the outcome.
Indeed. The PA announcer explained that we couldn’t progress even if we won the shootout before it started. We had to win in 90 minutes to progress.

And to counter all the “women do it differently” brigade. West Ham were definitely playing for the 0-0 and time wasting throughout.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here