Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Cost of living situation and the impact on football

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I didn't renew my season ticket. That seven match spell with no goals or wins with the added transport and parking difficulties helped make my mind up.

I'll be watching Bognor/Littlehampton/Chichester/Pagham/Worthing and go to Brighton games when they're not on a Saturday.
It will then hopefully feel more of a treat than a chore.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Fortunately living within the free travel zone and walking distance from the station the actual act of going to the football isn't a concern as long as I can pay for the season ticket, which touch wood at the moment I can

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I didn't renew my season ticket. That seven match spell with no goals or wins with the added transport and parking difficulties helped make my mind up.

I'll be watching Bognor/Littlehampton/Chichester/Pagham/Worthing and go to Brighton games when they're not on a Saturday.
It will then hopefully feel more of a treat than a chore.

Fair enough. Personally, the Spurs win and then the 4-0 and the 3-1 at home more than made up for that barren run.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
How, if at all, will the current cost of living crisis impact your established matchday expenditure? Fewer home games attended? Cut back on away games? Spend less on stadium food and drink / club merchandise? Cancel subscription TV channels? Or will you cut back in other areas to maintain your football expenditure - or perhaps you are in a position to absorb rising prices without significantly changing your spending behavior?

Ever since Nick Hornby invented football, it seems to have been immune to established economic conventions but will this be the year for a bit of a re-set?

I’ll probably cut back on awaydays, and/or arrange transport better with others to share petrol costs at least as it’s getting ridiculous. May start using the free travel for home games rather than driving too. Don’t spend a huge amount on food/drink anyway so not overly bothered about that.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
One thing putting me off away trips - other than some kick off times - is there doesn't seem to be cheap advanced rail tickets anymore..

I've been on the train to London and back 2x this year (first time in about 5 years). Both times got cheap tickets in advance. Jubilee Bank Holiday got a Shoreham return and 1 day travel card for me, Mrs B and teenaged Miss B for £41 total which I thought was pretty reasonable.

Not been to any away games as never had the points plus sh1t KO times. If it's at a decent time and tickets available, then I'd like to go to the Big 6 to see them. Heavily dependent on costs and stupid o'clock (or not) KO times.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I've been on the train to London and back 2x this year (first time in about 5 years). Both times got cheap tickets in advance. Jubilee Bank Holiday got a Shoreham return and 1 day travel card for me, Mrs B and teenaged Miss B for £41 total which I thought was pretty reasonable.

Not been to any away games as never had the points plus sh1t KO times. If it's at a decent time and tickets available, then I'd like to go to the Big 6 to see them. Heavily dependent on costs and stupid o'clock (or not) KO times.

I have a Network Card so can get a one day travel card off peak for a 18.30 if I am going to London but if you planned enough in advance you could get bargains if you were going north of there. They seemed to stop last season although that might have improved since.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
In a similar vein to several other threads, I've decided a 3 or 4 nice days out per season without having to scrimp and TV is enough, It fits in with life and seems like a justifiable expense

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I don’t tend to buy food or drink at the ground .that’ll continue ..direct spending on football (ST) unchanged ..year to go on my current contract with VM ..when that expires Sky/BT Sports will be for the chop and package pared back to just Broadband

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
A full tank of petrol for my round trip to the Amex turns a £45 match ticket into a £150 day out before parking or any grub. It makes the footy feel very dispensable.

You must have a petrol or diesel thirsty car to spend £105 driving 240 miles.
On motorways, I am doing 55mpg

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
You must have a petrol or diesel thirsty car to spend £105 driving 240 miles.
On motorways, I am doing 55mpg

Round figures it's a tank of petrol. I fill up before I leave and will need to fill up again the following day. Plus it adds 5000 miles a year to the mileage on my car.

But I don't think the point was to debate the fuel efficiency of my car. It feels now, more than ever, like a round trip to the Amex from West Dorset is a seriously expensive business, on top of being incredibly inconvenient a lot of the time with matches being played at strange times to suit tv.

I know it's my choice not to live in Falmer village, but this is a thread about cost of living impact. I won't be the only one who is feeling this.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’ll probably cut back on awaydays, and/or arrange transport better with others to share petrol costs at least as it’s getting ridiculous. May start using the free travel for home games rather than driving too. Don’t spend a huge amount on food/drink anyway so not overly bothered about that.

Same, quite probably switch from Mill Road to the choo-choo.

I really don't want to cut back on away days, if anything increase them.
That said this season (until 9am) we were going further afield, this year we might do 'London', as we only went to WHLane.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here