Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Corners on Saturday

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yup some great corners. Got the impression that perhaps it was partly to compensate for losing some height with Welbeck and Veltman out.

Next step is just to get the effing header on goal. Feels like Webster & Dunk has missed like twenty headers from corners this season.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I can’t remember the last time we looked so consistently dangerous from corners. It was fantastic to see. March stays on them please RDZ. The difference between delivering a corner in at pace vs floated is stark.
My wife agrees with you, as she commented during the match on Saturday.

Which could be as a result of her hearing my constant moaning that we've been crap at corners for years!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Solly’s corners were terrific. Diamond of a left foot, really wish he could finish - would be worth 5-10 goals a season if only he’d take his multiple chances.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
BOOOO!

No I agree, his left foot is really good. When he just gets a little bit of time and space he puts in excellent crosses as well. Finishing really is a different world though - hitting the ball nicely in a tight situation and dealing with the psychology of a potential goal, very easy to get over-excited or nervous.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Makes sense really March put in a lovely cross, and Gros is more likely to put something away if he got on the end of it, his shooting boots seem slightly better than March's.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Solly’s corners were terrific. Diamond of a left foot, really wish he could finish - would be worth 5-10 goals a season if only he’d take his multiple chances.
It's funny (not sure if ironic is the right word) that Solly's goal against Wigan was effectively the one that secured promotion to the PL – and yet he's only scored three in the league since then (although, with a total of 14 goals in his entire career, prolific, he aint!). On the plus side, in the past few seasons, he's scored every other season – and he blanked in the last one, so he's due a goal before May!

:goal:

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I can’t remember the last time we looked so consistently dangerous from corners. It was fantastic to see. March stays on them please RDZ. The difference between delivering a corner in at pace vs floated is stark.
Jiri Skalak in the championship - every corner/dead ball felt like we could score.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Corners are strange beasts, I believe only something around 3% lead to a goal directly and only a few % more lead to a goal from the resulting mele, yet we all cheer them as if its a penalty kick and a goal is coming every other time
more and more teams are experimenting with treating them as free kicks from the corner, and not even trying to crosss the ball in but coming up with set pieces, fancy angles etc rather than getting the ball in the box directly.

With everyone crowding the goalier, any goal that is scored is subject to VAR and we all know how that goes for the other 24

Id actually like to see some more imaginative ways of taking corners , less cross the ball-which half the time sails over everyone, or doesnt get past the first defender more getting the oposition to think WTF!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought several different people took corners. I'm sure I saw Mitoma line up to take at least one of them in the southeast corner.

I have always found attitudes to corners a bit odd. Not just the excitement they generate compared to how many actually lead to goals, but also how people decide which they think are good or bad. Why is one that goes all the way over everyone's head and out the other side, or one in the middle that lands in the keeper's hands or defenders head actually any better than one that gets cleared by the first man, yet one getting cleared by the first man is considered the worst crime in corner kicks. Corners, like any pass, need two people to make them good - one to take them, one to get on the end. If every corner goes to the first man, why isn't anyone making a run to that first man, to sneak in front and flick it on?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I thought several different people took corners. I'm sure I saw Mitoma line up to take at least one of them in the southeast corner.

I have always found attitudes to corners a bit odd. Not just the excitement they generate compared to how many actually lead to goals, but also how people decide which they think are good or bad. Why is one that goes all the way over everyone's head and out the other side, or one in the middle that lands in the keeper's hands or defenders head actually any better than one that gets cleared by the first man, yet one getting cleared by the first man is considered the worst crime in corner kicks. Corners, like any pass, need two people to make them good - one to take them, one to get on the end. If every corner goes to the first man, why isn't anyone making a run to that first man, to sneak in front and flick it on?
Agree.

The whole "can't even get it past the first defender"-thing is so stupid.

The most dangerous corner today, yesterday and probably tomorrow is one that goes hard close to the first post just above the first defender but just in reach for someone attacking the ball. The difference between a "boo, couldnt get it past the first defender" and "yay, our bloked scored a nice goal" is a matter of centimeters.

Of course every single player in Brighton could get it past the first defender 99/100 times if they were just putting it in there randomly, but at this level players actually aim for something and being accurate from that range and angle is very difficult. Putting it just right to get past the first defender but still being at a height where the bloke just behind him can head it on goal is very very difficult, its similar to finding the top corner with every half-dangerous free-kick.. no one does it.

(and yes Mitoma took a corner. 5 from Solly, 2 from Alexis and 1 from Mitoma)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here