Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Clubs who have made the biggest transfer losses since 2014

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove

Far too many English clubs on there - interesting to see that Villa are 7th, Everton 8th and Palace 11th on the list (which is global), and Villa were in the Championship for some of those years too! It makes you wonder how some of these clubs get round FFP …..

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Interesting to see Brentford on 99m euros ahead of Brighton on 91m with Swansea on 62m the only Eng clubs on list with a positive figure.

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Interesting to see us there in 29th on a CG basis, when we've only really been positive on a 'this year' basis for the last couple of years. Keep doing what we do and we'll climb.

Odd that they don't include academy players.

Just goes to show, sadly, that spunking money still trumps savvy dealing in terms of success these days. But we live in hope.

Midget

Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Interesting to see Brentford on 99m euros ahead of Brighton on 91m with Swansea on 62m the only Eng clubs on list with a positive figure.
That's because they spend low. Probably mostly profit on Watkins and Maupay!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Bear in mind that this only goes up to 22/23 season. Our net transfer income so far this year is about 80-90m Euro(approx 190m in and 100m spent).

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
Struggling to recall who Brentford have sold of note since they came up? Guess it must mostly be sales from their Championship days (eg. Maupay to us and Benrahma to West Ham).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Struggling to recall who Brentford have sold of note since they came up? Guess it must mostly be sales from their Championship days (eg. Maupay to us and Benrahma to West Ham).
Wally Oddkins

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
Wally Oddkins
Yep. I guess the answer to my question is technically “no-one” (Raya only left on loan this summer) which makes their transfer dealings all the more impressive to be this high up the list following two and a half mostly successful seasons in the Prem.

Midget

Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Bear in mind that this only goes up to 22/23 season. Our net transfer income so far this year is about 80-90m Euro(approx 190m in and 100m spent).
Not clear whether that includes the Summer 23 window but I guess not...

But also it's on a CG basis so only counts the spend on those we've sold, not everything we've spent in those years.

The £100m we've spent this year won't be included until we sell those players, what will count this year is what those £190m in sales were originally bought for. That should be greater than 190-100.

Unbelievable times 🤑

Midget

Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Yep. I guess the answer to my question is technically “no-one” (Raya only left on loan this summer) which makes their transfer dealings all the more impressive to be this high up the list following two and a half mostly successful seasons in the Prem.
As I mentioned earlier, mostly because they don't spend much. £50m for purposes of this computation compared to over £300m for us.

But their model is smaller-scale similar-ish to ours (due to their Tony Bloom wannabe chairman).

Midget

Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Is there any reason why academy produced player sales don't count?

It doesn't give a fair reflection of a clubs transfer policy if it's only players that have been bought and then sold. It's basically all expenditure on players but not all of the income from sales.
Exactly. In a CG computation you'd usually include things you acquired free. Surely they're still capital assets, not stock!

Midget

Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Oops, not only late to the party as usual, but at the wrong one! :lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Is there any reason why academy produced player sales don't count?

It doesn't give a fair reflection of a clubs transfer policy if it's only players that have been bought and then sold. It's basically all expenditure on players but not all of the income from sales.
Indeed. What a very strange - dare I suggest - POINTLESS list, given that omission.

And who counts as an 'academy produced' player anyway?

In our case we've recently sold Ben White, Rob Sanchez, Aaron Conolly, etc, for various sums. All came through our academy, but whilst White was unattached when he joined the Albion, we paid compensation to Levante and Mervue United for the other two - are they 'academy produced' or not?

When we sell Evan Ferguson, who joined as an academy player at the age of 16 - does he 'count'?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Indeed. What a very strange - dare I suggest - POINTLESS list, given that omission.

And who counts as an 'academy produced' player anyway?

In our case we've recently sold Ben White, Rob Sanchez, Aaron Conolly, etc, for various sums. All came through our academy, but whilst White was unattached when he joined the Albion, we paid compensation to Levante and Mervue United for the other two - are they 'academy produced' or not?

When we sell Evan Ferguson, who joined as an academy player at the age of 16 - does he 'count'?
I was wondering the same thing. I would guess they do as the same website claims we've sold 91m worth of homegrown players. (https://football-observatory.com/WeeklyPost446) .

Presumably they're working off of the UEFA definition of homegrown which is anyone who has spent 3 years with a club before the age of 21. So yeah, despite us paying for those players this website probably won't be counting their sales for their player trading list.

Seems to me you get a much better idea of a clubs trading if you include all sales. If you do you get clubs like Ajax and Benfica making circa 700m profit, a lot of the English clubs's huge losses are reduced quite considerably and Palace, well, they're still 150m down*. Which leaves them comfortably in the top 10 of losses...

*Actually, isn't that the same amount of money that has been 'ring fenced' for their new stand?

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Interesting to see us there in 29th on a CG basis, when we've only really been positive on a 'this year' basis for the last couple of years. Keep doing what we do and we'll climb.

Odd that they don't include academy players.

Just goes to show, sadly, that spunking money still trumps savvy dealing in terms of success these days. But we live in hope.
The Locadia and Jahanbaksh deals would have hurt our numbers!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here