Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Club World Cup

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
FIFA have announced a 'Club World Cup' consisting of 32 teams, every four years, and the first edition will be summer of 2025.
"They will be the best teams in the world invited to participate".

FIFA's answer to the failed Super League? or just another way to keep the richest clubs at the very top by boosting their income even further?
How will the sides that compete be selected? Will 'big clubs' that fail in say European cup competition still get a spot based on their name and historic achievements?

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
The concept was a great idea, when I was a kid in the seventies I used to do a mock draw based on the team names in the Subbuteo brochure (Hearts Of Oak, O’Higgins, Home Farm, AZ67 etc) I’m surprised it’s taken this long. However it’s not 1980 anymore so it’ll be corrupt and a load of shit. I’ve got no interest whatsoever

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Crap. Who even takes notice of world team final now. All ready to many meaningless games in the 3 European competitions. If it comes in will be another go at reducing size of PL to fit these games in. All about money with no thought to what supporters want

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
I'm all for it as long as there is a fair qualification system, so we're not seeing the same big names in it every time around.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’m sure we were ranked in the top 26 in the world recently on here for our income/blah blah …. We’re in then.

Super Sub

Aug 13, 2016
If Fifa are going to try and introduce something new, id much rather it was something different like a league against league proposition. Premier League squad against the same from Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Argentina, Brazil etc. Nationality doesn't count... just the league you play in and represent.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Mafia leader Infantino spoke about player welfare in his news conference. Adding more competitive fixtures to the calendar means more 'important' matches... o_O

It will mean more money for FIFA is the underlying theme, players will clearly be prone to injury and in some cases play neigh on all year round.

This will no doubt lead (with further investment from aboard in the top six) to a reduced size of the Premier League, this will happen now, with probably one automatically down and a play off promotion (entrainment value, nothing to do with more money, honest Guv).

This makes it even more paramount we do not lose on position in the league over the next few years, sadly this is true, because we are here already, if we go down down, it will be neigh on impossible to rise again. Another reason why football is broken....

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Does it say how it will be run? 2025 is an 'off' summer with no Olympics, Euros or World Cup so is this a tournament that fills the summer gap? Will it be a home & away fixtures or all off to some rich country for sportswashing?
Personally I'm against it, unless we get picked of course.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
FIFA have announced a 'Club World Cup' consisting of 32 teams, every four years, and the first edition will be summer of 2025.
"They will be the best teams in the world invited to participate".

FIFA's answer to the failed Super League? or just another way to keep the richest clubs at the very top by boosting their income even further?
How will the sides that compete be selected? Will 'big clubs' that fail in say European cup competition still get a spot based on their name and historic achievements?
Both.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
So all the chat about player welfare is just crap really (not a shock).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here