Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] "City" status getting a bad name

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
This "City" status thing is getting a bad name. Southend given it a few weeks back, now Colchester, Doncaster and Wrexham among others. I think we should give ours back. Becoming completely meaningless now .... or maybe it always was?

Can't see a problem with any of those. Very historical places. I'm surprised Colchester didn't get it centuries ago.

Milton Keynes is another matter.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
It’s all comparative. Perhaps I should be offended that the town of Brighton was given city status ? It’s not Liverpool is it :)

I have no idea why Brighton was given city status. As far as I'm concerned it should be reserved for towns with cathedrals, which is what I always thought was an absolute requirement. Shows how much I know.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
As far as I'm concerned it should be reserved for towns with cathedrals, which is what I always thought was an absolute requirement. Shows how much I know.

Clearly does.

City status is given by the Monarch and has nothing to do with whether the place has a Cathedral. It's a myth.

Cambridge and Birmingham (both cities) didn't have a cathedral when made cities.

Hull has been a city since 1897 and doesn't have one.

Places like Guildford have a cathedral but aren't a city.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Clearly does.

City status is given by the Monarch and has nothing to do with whether the place has a Cathedral. It's a myth.

Cambridge and Birmingham (both cities) didn't have a cathedral when made cities.

Hull has been a city since 1897 and doesn't have one.

Places like Guildford have a cathedral but aren't a city.

Which seems really odd, given its history. I always think of cities in an historical context. So I'm surprised Colchester was never chartered.

For example, I can understand why Stirling got it a few years back, as well as places like St David's. But Milton Keynes ?

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
There was a bit of disgruntlement when Brighton and Hove were made a city wasn't there? I lived on Norton Road in Hove at the time and remember militant grannies crossing out "the city of Brighton and" on posters around Hove town hall.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I have no idea why Brighton was given city status. As far as I'm concerned it should be reserved for towns with cathedrals, which is what I always thought was an absolute requirement. Shows how much I know.

Has anyone been doubting the blindingly obvious :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think it is a fantastic gesture by Her Majesty the Queen, and it will bring many benefits and opportunities for the residents of these new cities.

**** off*.

No Cathedral, not a city.

*That was just a general **** off. From time to time you need that :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here