Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] CCTV home sytems

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
Afternoon,

Can anyone reccomend a decent system that you can watch from your phone when you're not home. We have horses on the property and a workshop and I've just found someone poking around looking for scrap metal .... !!!
Thanks 👍

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
There are many different systems. Here are a few.
1/ Basic CCTV system with cameras and hard drive. Amazon product
Was £219 when I checked. Connect to WiFi hub for full internet viewing. I use these in my shops with no problems. Down side, no external recording in the cloud. Thief steals unit then you're stuffed.
2/ Similar to above but use wireless cameras.
3/ Amazon Blink system. Expensive right now so wait for a deal. These can be just placed anywhere and left. I've 6 in my home system of 3 outdoor and 3 indoor. Advantage is they record to the cloud.
I'm not an expert but having installed loads for myself and friends know enough.
EDIT Amazon unit didn't show but shove cctv into Amazon and look for an 8 camera Sannce unit.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
C546FC07-4890-4507-A8E9-7D13A4386FAA.jpeg

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Similar to threads about pensions etc - Without knowing your full requirements and expectations, it's difficult to make recommendations. I have 2 separate platforms, one a dedicated Mac Mini with software operating IP cameras (previously analogue cameras via an Axis encoder), and an NVR, effectively a video recorder that either acts as a switch to connect to IP cameras or connects to IP cameras elsewhere on the network - I generally wouldn't recommend the former unless you have some old PC or Mac to use as it will end up being very expensive!

WiFi cameras are of course also available but come with more compromises around reliability, security and quality - They are, however, much simpler, less intrusive and cheaper to install.

More broadly, don't expect CCTV to be a great deterrent, it's not, as @The Clamp implies, a nasty dog tends to be more off putting!

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I have a Hikvision system with 8MP (4k) PoE IP cameras. There is a phone/tablet app so you can monitor or check alarms when out the house and manually set the alarm if you forget. Also a Mac/PC app so you can have it set up on a dedicated machine at home if you hide the NVR somewhere and don't want a monitor on it. Equally, you could put the DVR inside your TV cabinet and have it connected to a TV.
You can DIY the system if you have basic network knowledge and know how to terminate cat6 cables.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I have a ring setup outside and blink minis indoor.

I got the ring camera out the front as there had been a spate on catalytic converter thefts in my area. Guess what happened to me last night? Yes I got them on camera but its no use to man nor beast. All you can see is two blokes jacking up my car and having it away in about 30 seconds. Only slight use it might be to the old bill is you can see the model of the car they were in but no plates.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here