Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Brighton ignores St George’s Day

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As has been mentioned, a patron saint is a roman Catholic tradition, The English have mostly rejected Catholic traditions since Henry the VIII. Ireland is still a deeply Catholic country so logically St Patricks day is observed and celebrated. If you take a similar country, for example the Netherlands, their National Day is Kings Day where they celebrate the Monarch's Birthday, and is also not a prediominantly Catholic country anymore. perhaps we could do that here, although we should have started it when Elizabeth II was still on the throne, but it would be the only logical day to have a national day in England. Better that than having a mob of uneducated and confused bigots
Trooping the Colour is the official celebration of the monarch's birthday. Edward VII changed the actual date to the second Saturday in June because his birthday was in November (like the present king) and it was cold and miserable, also when George V reigned it clashed with Armistice Day.

So most of us can have the day off on June 8th. Hurrah.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We, in Australia enjoy a day off for the kings birthday. Happens to be near my birthday too,

Which is nice/
I was there for Australia Day in 1996. I went to Darling Harbour (can't say that without thinking about Blackadder)

The special guest was Jason Donovan.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Depressingly but unsurprisingly, St Georges Day ignorance is prevalent from our elected representatives

Mordaunt tells blatent lie, accusing Labour of not celebrating St Georges, gets quickly corrected by the opposition and the come back is: "The truth Hurts" - wtf?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
As has been mentioned, a patron saint is a roman Catholic tradition, The English have mostly rejected Catholic traditions since Henry the VIII.
Not after the Oxford Movement which revived catholicism in the Anglican church in the C19th and the growth of the Anglo-Catholic tradition within the CoE.

Anyone living in Brighton will be familiar with the Wagner Churches built in Brighton, including St Bart’s, St Michael’s & All Angels, The Annunciation in Hanover district, St Paul’s West Street etc - all with strong Anglo-Catholic traditions stemming from the Oxford Movement which observe the Saint days along with all the bells and smells.

But yes, there is no national celebration of saint days in Britain - I don’t really see the point of having National Saint Days in a secular society and I suspect if there were, most people would just see them as an excuse for a piss up and barbie so why not just have an extra Bank Holiday for a secular reason- I could think of a few. :wink:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not after the Oxford Movement which revived catholicism in the Anglican church in the C19th and the growth of the Anglo-Catholic tradition within the CoE.

Anyone living in Brighton will be familiar with the Wagner Churches built in Brighton, including St Bart’s, St Michael’s & All Angels, The Annunciation in Hanover district, St Paul’s West Street etc - all with strong Anglo-Catholic traditions stemming from the Oxford Movement which observe the Saint days along with all the bells and smells.

But yes, there is no national celebration of saint days in Britain - I don’t really see the point of having National Saint Days in a secular society and I suspect if there were, most people would just see them as an excuse for a piss up and barbie so why not just have an extra Bank Holiday for a secular reason- I could think of a few. :wink:
April already has Easter most years. My nomination for another Bank Holiday is Trafalgar Day in October. We need something to break the monotony between August and Christmas.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
April already has Easter most years. My nomination for another Bank Holiday is Trafalgar Day in October. We need something to break the monotony between August and Christmas.
I've always taken a day or two off around Bonfire Night.
Started when I was at school/college and we'd get the afternoon off.
The stated reason was that transport was too difficult. That made sense, but I'm sure that at least once we had the 6th off as well and I've always suspected that the actual reason was that the teachers were too hungover. One of the teachers used to occasionally come in wearing his WWII commando costume that he'd wear in the procession.

In any case, it's a nicely timed day or two between August and Christmas.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Depressingly but unsurprisingly, St Georges Day ignorance is prevalent from our elected representatives

Mordaunt tells blatent lie, accusing Labour of not celebrating St Georges, gets quickly corrected by the opposition and the come back is: "The truth Hurts" - wtf?

It's good job they can't accuse each other of lying in the Commons. Otherwise it would all look a bit silly as people might start losing respect for the whole thing

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
….according to this gruff voiced person.

It’s funny but SGD has passed me by my entire life bar the odd reminder around 8pm that day by someone or something.

These days it gets mentioned more and more so you are aware, but only by those wanting to make political capital out of it not really being a national day of celebration. But that’s always been the case.

It really is a strange one. Personally if celebrating Saints is your thing, you can always go along with Patrick. He seems to be the alcoholic and most fun one. IMO of course.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
It really is a strange one. Personally if celebrating Saints is your thing, you can always go along with Patrick. He seems to be the alcoholic and most fun one. IMO of course.
Also, Patrick was actually from what's now England (or at least somewhere in Britain, depending on which one of about 20 possibilities you choose to believe).

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Also, Patrick was actually from what's now England (or at least somewhere in Britain, depending on which one of about 20 possibilities you choose to believe).
I’ll remind my Orish in laws of this, thank you. They’re always banging on about their freedom fighters. I retort we had a different name for them, and get me another pint of yer black stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here