Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion in the 5th Round of the FA Cup

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
It's a relatively rare occurrence for us to progress this far in the FA Cup, and we clearly benefit from the head-start given to top-flight clubs.

1929–30 Newcastle 3-0 Albion
1932–33 West Ham 1-0 Albion
1945–46 Albion 1-10 Derby (over 2 legs)
1959–60 Preston 2-1 Albion
1982–83 Liverpool 1-2 Albion (lost final 4-0 to Man Utd)
1983–84 Watford 3-1 Albion
1985–86 Albion 1-0 Peterborough (lost quarter-final 2-0 to Southampton)
2010–11 Stoke 3-0 Albion
2011–12 Liverpool 6-1 Albion
2013–14 Hull 2-1 Albion
2017–18 Albion 3-1 Coventry (lost quarter-final 2-0 to Man Utd)
2018–19 Albion 2-1 Derby (lost semi-final 1-0 to Man City)

Has anyone attended all eight 5th round ties involving the club since the 1980s?

No..not for me despite supporting club since 60/61. Can't see any progression beyond tonight unfortunately.

It'll be interesting to see how Brendon and Graham approach team selection and squad rotation etc

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
The last 5 are the only ones in my lifetime (born 1994) and I actually attended 4 of them, missing the Derby one I believe.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Those stats just go to show how utterly dismal our record in the cup has been. We very rarely have a shot at the later rounds so we really should embrace it and go for it yet there are still people who will be happy if we get knocked out. Unbelievable!

I understand if we have to make some changes but I really want us to win!

Yes I agree

We have the stats you'd expect of a league 1 or 2 club. Understandably since we've been down there most of our history

But now we've got this fabulous top level team and manager, we have a chance to put some of those embarrassing stats behind us. The never beat Chelsea thing is something else I very much have my eye on

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Went to:

This one: 1983–84 Watford 3-1 Albion
This one, both away, and the replay at home: 1985–86 Albion 1-0 Peterborough (lost quarter-final 2-0 to Southampton)
This one: 2010–11 Stoke 3-0 Albion
This one: 2011–12 Liverpool 6-1 Albion
The original home tie of this one (but not the replay): 2013–14 Hull 2-1 Albion
This one: 2017–18 Albion 3-1 Coventry (lost quarter-final 2-0 to Man Utd)
and this one: 2018–19 Albion 2-1 Derby (lost semi-final 1-0 to Man City)

So EIGHT 5th round matches. Shame I didn't get to go to the 83 Anfield one (managed every game in that run bar that, and the Newcastle replay).

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I've done 8/10 5th rounders, just missed the Hull and Stoke away games.

Hull I watched in Bristol, sorting out middle junior PG at Uni and Stoke I had an inkling we'd get dicked (bad fan).

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Used to love the FA Cup, an away tie used to be my main game of the whole season not to miss as it usually meant a new ground to visit and the usual all day piss-up on the train.
However since Poyet used to put out weakened sides and the difficulty in getting tickets for such ties due to not having season ticket etc have been lethargic with the whole thing apart from the Man City semi-final year and even then those games weren't exactly very entertaining.
It seems a little different with Potter though as first of all I think he really cares about the cup and even though it won't be the 1st string you know our squad is so strong now that we can be competitive against anyone.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Home advantage is not what it was and so we have more of a chance tonight, depending on the teams put out - well, possibly depending just on Leicester.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove

Kipped in Birmingham New Street Station after this game, didn't have a coat so was basically walking up and down the platform to keep warm all night until the early morning train arrived.
Never used to check train timetables in those days so wasn't even aware couldn't get back from Leicester that night,
Strolled back to the station after the game and just jumped on next train that went south and hence ended back in Birmingham on freezing cold night with just thin polo shirt on.
Bloody good game though, we took quite a few up there and made a right din banging the back of the stand

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here