Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bradford

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Today is the anniversary of the Bradford fire where 56 fellow football fans lost their lives in a horrendous manner

may they all rest in peace

3E9C58E1-265C-4B08-9359-A0C91F83874B.jpeg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Can still recall seeing live pictures from Bradford on Grandstand. The pictures gave no real sense of the horror that was unfolding, tho you could tell by the voice of the commentator/presenter (Motty/David Coleman?) that it was something very serious indeed. RIP :down:

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
3 Ormondryod's on that list. :down:
Father and his twin sons.

I’ve got lots of family from Bradford and one of my cousins was at the game. I remember getting back to my Nans after our game that day, watching the news and waiting for the phone call to say he was home ok, thankfully we got that call but so many didn’t.

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
Can still recall seeing live pictures from Bradford on Grandstand. The pictures gave no real sense of the horror that was unfolding, tho you could tell by the voice of the commentator/presenter (Motty/David Coleman?) that it was something very serious indeed. RIP :down:
I believe the match was being broadcast for Yorkshire TV's highlights programme, so wouldn't be those commentators.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Those scenes on TV will remain forever in my memory. Truly devastating. RIP to those who died and thoughts with the families who have had to live their lives remembering such tragedy.
Absolutely this. It was all so quick. Could have happened anywhere, I guess.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Apparently there was discarded paper waste from the 1960s under the wooden stand. RIP

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
I recall a moving doc made by Gabby Logan on this subject. Her dad was the manager. Recall walking home with my radio listening to this unfold on the airwaves..... made me think about 'never coming home' from football.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Father and his twin sons.

I’ve got lots of family from Bradford and one of my cousins was at the game. I remember getting back to my Nans after our game that day, watching the news and waiting for the phone call to say he was home ok, thankfully we got that call but so many didn’t.
Yep. Distant family on that board, never made it. Met another who did get out, but his hands melted and all years and dozens skin grafts later still see the horrific scars. Jimmy Greaves visited the hospitals in the aftermath, and kept coming back to see victims for months and years after. He was a real unsung hero apparently re: his support for families.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Could easily have happened at the Goldstone. That West Stand was no different at all and until Bradford smoking was very prevalent.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I can still remember when we played Bradford at the Goldstone a couple of months after the disaster and some of the survivors (some still in bandages and on crutches) came out onto the pitch at half time to a standing ovation from the Brighton fans. Terrible tragedy, RIP56.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The appalling image of that poor man on fire staggering from the stand near the corner and collapsing is still etched into my memory. It upsets me to this day, and I'm not glad of being reminded of it.

Thankfully the rigorous safety standards these days will ensure nothing like that ever happens again. But at the time, it was just another example of 80s complacency. Nobody gave a f*** about fans safety. Valley Parade and Hillsborough was the result. That could have been any of us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here