Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Boring but quick HMRC question..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've been doing SA for 25+ years and invariably my income tax is overpaid and they owe me a refund. It used to be the case that you put your bank details on the SA for where any refund is to be sent. In the last 2 years they have reverted to sending cheques. One last thought, are you sure they've not "returned it" via a Tax Code adjustment? Unusual for a credit but if they have, you can demand the full lump sum.
Thanks for the suggestion but I haven’t paid any tax in the UK since 2021.

I have called periodically and the somewhat standard reply I now get is we’re behind with repayments, I will look into why it has not been repaid, and call you back in a few days. Then silence. I have a long list of numbers, dates, length of call and person I spoke to.

I will give it one last try over Xmas holiday and then see what options are open to escalate it.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
You should be able to pay them in using your bank's App. You just take photos of the front and back of the cheque and there it is, credited to your account (pending clearance, obvs🙄).
Depends on who you bank with. Nationwide don't have that facility yet.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I will give it one last try over Xmas holiday and then see what options are open to escalate it.
Be mindful that HMRC are entering a period they lovingly call "SA Peak" - the deadline for SA submission [without penalty] is 31-Jan and many leave doing their SA submission until the last 5-6 weeks before deadline.

Most/all HMRC IT systems have a change-freeze during SA Peak so as not to risk any impact to SA and related systems processing.
Call centre staff numbers are also increased in the SA section during January to help deal with the anticipated volume of SA enquiries.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Be mindful that HMRC are entering a period they lovingly call "SA Peak" - the deadline for SA submission [without penalty] is 31-Jan and many leave doing their SA submission until the last 5-6 weeks before deadline.

Most/all HMRC IT systems have a change-freeze during SA Peak so as not to risk any impact to SA and related systems processing.
Call centre staff numbers are also increased in the SA section during January to help deal with the anticipated volume of SA enquiries.
Wonderful :lolol:

Maybe I’ll try again in Feb. I’m lucky I’m not on the breadline as I imagine this would be very stressful, not just the lack of money but the lengthy calls, the cost of the calls etc.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You should be able to pay them in using your bank's App. You just take photos of the front and back of the cheque and there it is, credited to your account (pending clearance, obvs🙄).
Yes, and you can also pay them in at your local post office.
The last time I had a tax rebate it arrived by cheque.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Hello.

Switched from working for two organisations to one organisation two months ago.

Been on a 661T tax code so basically paying double tax.

Spoke to HMRC just now. They changed my code. So should be fine now.

However, I forgot to ask how the rebate I’m due is paid. I’ve heard it should go into your next appropriate pay. Or do you have to request the rebate?

I was on hold for 50 mins this morning. Don’t fancy that again for one question.

Anyone on here know how it’s done now?

Cheers
TC
Call them to confirm but make sure you do it at 8am (best time to call them)

Edit: to add, it’s worth registering an online account with HMRC as a lot of this can be managed via self service.
For example checking the salary they have on record mirrors the reality so you can ensure you are paying the correct amount via paye with no surprises in April

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I received a tax rebate last year. I was told that it would be credited to my account, but they sent a cheque instead. Do people still use cheques?
I had the same thing and received a cheque, luckily one of my banks is modern enough to accept cheques via smartphone upload so save me a visit to a branch (if they still exist)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I had the same thing and received a cheque, luckily one of my banks is modern enough to accept cheques via smartphone upload so save me a visit to a branch (if they still exist)
Nationwide do, and have vowed to keep branches open.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I went on line on the Government gateway page and it said check your tax i was very please to report they owed me £914.27 they said do you want your payment and o/c i put yes into bank account which they had the details off. I received the transfer within 3 days. I was amazed but happy.

Edit :
If i owed them money i would have ignored until they got in touch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here