Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Boiler + kitchen sink and tap replacement quote

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If she is going for a complete boiler replacement - might be worth looking at what green solutions are out there right now, as in a few years time it will become a necessity to have it.

Air source heat pumps are a good shout ** but only if you have some form of solar/ energy creation***.

There are grants available for this and also probably extra discounts due to age etc.

That quote does look decent though.

With all due respect that’s a bit misleading …..there is no talk of retrospective fitting of things like air source heat pumps

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I'm not qualified to offer an opinion on the cost but I would make the following observations:

1. What type of boiler is the combi boiler replacing as I don't see any any reference to removal of immersion or gravity tank.

2. If this is first time your mum has had a combi boiler is she aware of the downside.Relies on good mains pressure. Doesn’t have an immersion heater.Doesn’t work with power showers
Doesn’t normally allow you to use multiple hot water appliances at once. On this last point for example you need to be wary of someone turning on a tap if someone is having a shower.

If your mums not particularly tech minded the wireless programmable will need you to set up. I have Viessman combi and it was a step up from the little old dial thermostat on the wall

That tap looks like an over quote potentially for your mum's needs

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Where’s local?

Reminds me of a Tommy Cooper joke:

So I rang up my local swimming baths.
I said "Is that the local swimming baths?"
He said "It depends where you're calling from."

Depending on its KW, the 8000 can be a powerful boiler, is it a very large house? I’d suggest getting an alternative quote including boiler sizing.

If the Brighton area, I use an excellent firm of heating engineers, their bills always far lower than expected.

They start at 30kw and go up to 50kw, which is the HW rating (not CH) of course. The quote doesn't tell us exactly which model, but the CH is range rate-able on these.
The tap is approx £250 by itself Plus sink, plus labour.

It's a reasonable London price.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They start at 30kw and go up to 50kw, which is the HW rating (not CH) of course. The quote doesn't tell us exactly which model, but the CH is range rate-able on these.
The tap is approx £250 by itself Plus sink, plus labour.

It's a reasonable London price.

I noticed that too, I looked up the model.

We have this model, 30kWh, more than enough to heat a house with 3 / 4 bedrooms, the current cost new £1,253.
https://plumbingandheatingnation.co.uk/Worcester-Greenstar-29CDi-Classic-Combi-ERP-Boiler-Flue

Do Worcester Bosch make less powerful models for small flats?

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
My mother has just received a quote for the details shown in picture below.

She is keen to go ahead, but I know nothing of what value this offers personally, although to me it seems good. what are your thoughts please NSC?

View attachment 152432

I had similar fitted last year for round about that price - by a local experienced plumber / heating engineer. Considerably cheaper than British Gas.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I've used KC Contracts (& predecessors) for decades. Albion fans, although I don't hold that against them :wink:. Great engineers that don't rip you off. In fact they were in today servicing a 16 yo boiler. Far cheaper and more reliable than BG (who my mum pays a ridiculous monthly sum to).

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
I noticed that too, I looked up the model.

We have this model, 30kWh, more than enough to heat a house with 3 / 4 bedrooms, the current cost new £1,253.
https://plumbingandheatingnation.co.uk/Worcester-Greenstar-29CDi-Classic-Combi-ERP-Boiler-Flue

Do Worcester Bosch make less powerful models for small flats?

I only fit Viessmann/Vailant/Atag, but service/repair a lot of WB - the CDi classic (Combi, Heat only and system) has been replaced by 8000 Life/Style models. These are WB more premier models with fancy front and better control strategy etc.
You can buy Cdi Compact which is a 'cupboard' size version and comes in 25-35kw.

The 2000/4000 is seen as a more 'everyday' boiler again 25-35kw

All WB combi's have 18KW CH output as standard. Most houses have 8-11kw Heat loss, so pretty much all can be down rated to suit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here