Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Bike theft Liverpool game 14/01/23

theboybilly

I will now. I’m 54 and have cycled since I was about 6 or 7, this is the first time it’s ever happened to me. Is it a new thing? Do the thieves pinch other components? Pedals? Brakes?
No it's not a new thing and yes they will take components if they can't take the whole bike. You need to make your bike as unwelcome to thieves as possible : At least 2 locks (preferably a chain with padlock and a U-lock so that they'll likely need more tools) Saddles and wheels will be relatively secure with a cable. Lots of YouTube videos of how to do it. Don't for goodness sake leave a bike in a remote place and don't rely on others to intervene in a theft. If at the Amex use the racks provided and let the initial crowds to the Bridge car park die down. I don't know if many, if any, bikes are stolen on matchday but it has to be the safer option. You do have my sympathy though, but you do come across as a little naive. Sorry this reply was meant for @Geoffbn2 as well

Last edited:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
As Liverpool were in town I would have expected it to be just the wheels they stole with the frame being left on blocks.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I had my bike (Black Trek Madone 2.1) stolen from the railings by the A27 bus stop near Falmer station yesterday, I've been parking my bike there for the past 8 or 9 years with it chained one side and my husbands the other with the locks securing both bikes, thankfully my husbands bike was left, the 3 locks (retractable small locks) were all cut and my helmet was also taken.
I've always thought the area was safe due to the police presence but alas not this time, If you are one of the other 10/15 people who leave their bike there please consider using strong locks and be aware of the potential risk.
Sorry to hear that.
It must have taken the edge off a fantastic day.
I hope you get it back somehow.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Blimey, that's a bit OTT. Someone's nicked a bike, it's not as if they've murdered a child or anything.
Ye knaw, what ah reckon is that, if they had the'selves proper jobs, they wouldn't be up to all this, y'know, larkin' every night.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It seems to be a sad fact of life now, that some people will steal absolutely anything, even if it's of no financial value.

They take it, simply because they can.

Geoffbn2

Feb 2, 2014
No it's not a new thing and yes they will take components if they can't take the whole bike. You need to make your bike as unwelcome to thieves as possible : At least 2 locks (preferably a chain with padlock and a U-lock so that they'll likely need more tools) Saddles and wheels will be relatively secure with a cable. Lots of YouTube videos of how to do it. Don't for goodness sake leave a bike in a remote place and don't rely on others to intervene in a theft. If at the Amex use the racks provided and let the initial crowds to the Bridge car park die down. I don't know if many, if any, bikes are stolen on matchday but it has to be the safer option. You do have my sympathy though, but you do come across as a little naive. Sorry this reply was meant for @Geoffbn2 as well
The bus stop near where the bikes are parked normally have a police car parked in to stop motorists using it as a drop off and pick up, 3 locks around different parts of the bikes including wheels, frame and helmet, the whole area is full of bikes being parked there, living 2 miles away from the ground i use a sustainable form of transport and do not wish to loiter around waiting for crowds to disperse, it is unsafe for the pedestrians to walk a bike through the crowds in my opinion and having carried out this practice for at least the past 6 or 7 years i do not see this as being naïve, i was unlucky and my original post was a warning to others that the area may not be as safe as we all think it is. The bike will be replaced and i will continue to cycle to the ground but will probably find a better place place to park it in future.

stewardxxx

Oct 7, 2008
Brighton
I would put these on my bike. A bit expensive, but will stop opportunist scum

Amazon product

Those pinhead items are brilliant. A bike of mine got decimated at shoreham station a few years ago (by a mother and her 13 yo son!) As they couldn't get it away whole they took the forks and saddle.

Because they cut through all the hydraulic cables and everything else it was cheaper for my insurance company to replace it rather than repair it. Made sure the new one had these all put on it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here