Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Best individual AMEX performances

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Buckley vs Forest/Dan Harding deserves a mention, I think.

A mention? It deserves some kind of award is what it deserves.

That one, Razak against Ipswich(?)and Vicente against Portsmouth and Derby are the standouts for me. I think Kazenga had some games where he was unplayable too.

As for opposition, how about that performance from Trafford? Must be up there.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Mentioning the Giroud performance in this line-up feels a bit like after timing as his career had a significant renaissance long after his expected prime. On that day, he was undoubtedly very good and his goal from the edge of the area was indeed top quality. But I felt at the time we had coped with him quite well all game until he did that.

That game was also notable for it being Ulloa's debut just as we were all getting a bit sick of the labrador being a bit shit. When CMS eventually came on as a late sub, he theatrically flopped looking for an equalising penalty when otherwise well placed. I turned round to @hans kraay fan club and we both immediately acknowledged that if that chance had fallen to Leo or even Barnes, they'd have just shrugged off the defender and smashed it in. I know he scored a couple of great goals, but I still get pissed off when I think of CMS.
Giroud was exceptional and might get my vote, but my nagging doubt is that from memory he was being marked by Adam El Abd, who by that stage was well beyond the ability to keep quiet a borderline world class player

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Connolly v Spurs. Was a brilliant team performance all round, but this kid just looked electric. His second and our third was sublime. Thought we had an absolute gem. Was also the game that showed us what Potter and his brand of football could acheive.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
As for opposition, how about that performance from Trafford? Must be up there.
Definitely not with the amount of timewasting but anyway there have been many more notable goalkeeper performances over the years, keepers always seem to save their performance of the season for the Amex

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Hazard when Chelsea thrashed us came immediately to mind as soon as I read "or opposition". Weird for a player to have been so good, achieved so much, yet be considered (by me anyway) a relatively wasted talent.

For us, I'm not really sure. Hard to pick one as it's quite rare we have someone 'run the show' in the attacking sense. We're quite a teamy team usually where everyone seems to play their part

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
Struggle to look past Hazard and Coutinho in that 17/18 season - both absolutely instrumental in their respective sides taking us to the cleaners and I still get nightmares about the sight of Hazard picking the ball up and running towards a backpedaling Duffy.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Martinez from Villa - controlled the tempo of the whole game from his position generally prostrate on the ground despite apparently being close to death on several occasions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here