[Football] Ben White

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Along with Ali Mac he is the only recent much noise for months big transfer made without being disruptive and toy throwing. In his case it happened twice, once on his return from Leeds where he was made by Bielsa and forced to play for Brighton the next season :wink: and then the following summer when he went to Arsenal. Always put in a shift for us and I never saw any public stroppiness.

Model professional for us it seems.

What’s not to like and who cares if he looks like an advert for a tanning salon?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Career looks to be stalling somewhat anyway at the moment. Can see him moving on from Arsenal in the summer
In what way is his career stalling? He is a regular with a top 4 club. Unless you play for Man City that’s as good as it gets in England.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I still wonder what the England situation is with him. If that had happened before we sold him I have no doubt it would affected his value.
seems to me its simply he plays right back and England have 2-3 better options there.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
In what way is his career stalling? He is a regular with a top 4 club. Unless you play for Man City that’s as good as it gets in England.
I thought I saw some analysis around Arsenals problems being due to lack of natural fullbacks, and the lack of attacking ability White especially has that causes them issues.

Always thought he was a CB, but arsenal have much better CBs. So the summary was they may well go shopping in the summer for a RB

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I thought I saw some analysis around Arsenals problems being due to lack of natural fullbacks, and the lack of attacking ability White especially has that causes them issues.

Always thought he was a CB, but arsenal have much better CBs. So the summary was they may well go shopping in the summer for a RB
Not big enough or good enough in the air as a top 4 CB imo :shrug:

I don’t watch Arsenal much but apart from Sunday’s game where he looked out of sorts to me, he has done OK when I’ve seen him as a FB this season and contributes well in attack.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Personally I have always felt he compliments Saka really well on the right. Sure, he’s not a player who will bomb down the wing but then you maybe don’t want this if you have Saka. Having a RB who is defensive, recycles the ball well and can come inside js perfect for their current set up.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Solid player. Moore wasn’t tall. From an Arsenal perspective I’m sure they’d love it if the plank from Crawley doesn’t pick him. Maybe he pissed Southgate off when he left the squad that time - good on White.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Personally I have always felt he compliments Saka really well on the right. Sure, he’s not a player who will bomb down the wing but then you maybe don’t want this if you have Saka. Having a RB who is defensive, recycles the ball well and can come inside js perfect for their current set up.
I think he does too, but, like Mitoma and Estupinan, wingers get so much more space and freedom with fullbacks that overlap.

What Arsenal gain in defensive stability and freedom for Saka to operate with less defensive responsibility, they also lose in Saka to deal with 2, 3 or sometimes 4 men on them at all times when the fullback is more defensive. There's less for those defenders to think about.

As I said on another thread, Mitoma's perceived drop in form is as much down to Estupinan's injury than anything he's doing directly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports