Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Back 4 or Back 5

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Can someone explain to me why we play with a back 4 at the moment (especially with Webster out). It just doesn't seem to work and completely nullifys Cucc and Lamptey?

We are leaking goals and looking shaky. Surely it's got to be time to shore up at the back. And it's not as if we look more dangerous having more players in midfield and upfront.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’d be more worried about individual errors and the lack of goal scoring.

Sanchez & Biss personally gave the potential champions two goals.

This game would have yielded a draw if it wasn’t for the ridiculous individual errors that have slowly crept in this year.

If we stop making these errors, we’ll start to draw again. If we can score a goal or two, we might get another win this season.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Because we sold Dan Burn and Duffy hasn’t been great and Webster is injured.

scooter1

How soon is now?
We went with a 4 yesterday as our only pace at the back was Lamptey and Cucurella, and we needed them to play as defenders as opposed to wing backs. If we’d played with a back 5, which I personally prefer, we’d have been exposed for pace as the wing backs would have been too high up the pitch to get back. It wasnt until Liverpool we’re 2 up that they eased off and allowed us space for Lamptey to push forward

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
We tweak our formation easily. We can keep possession as well as ANY team in this division. What we find SO difficult is how we keep balance possession and offensive, attacking football. GPott and his team are currently paralysed about how to address this dichotomy that lies at the heart of the club’s coaching philosophy - especially at home.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Because for a club which at one point had CBs coming out of our ears we’ve now run out

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
We sold two of our best centre halves and didn’t replace them. The decision to sell Burn I can sort of accept as it seems it was his dream move but to not bring Van Hecke or Clarke back from loan as cover was arrogant or ignorant.

We are so much better suited to three at the back but cannot play it due to injuries and loss of form (Duffy). As a result two of our best attacking options are nullified.

Bloom and Potter simply got this one wrong and we are paying the price. If we drop 5/6 places in the end of season table that loss of prize money wipes out the money from Burn. Really baffling stuff.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
We went with a 4 yesterday as our only pace at the back was Lamptey and Cucurella, and we needed them to play as defenders as opposed to wing backs. If we’d played with a back 5, which I personally prefer, we’d have been exposed for pace as the wing backs would have been too high up the pitch to get back. It wasnt until Liverpool we’re 2 up that they eased off and allowed us space for Lamptey to push forward

Lamptey pushed up more in the second half as we went to more of a back 3/5 at times with Cucurella being the third centre back and March moving to LWB. This negates Cucurella's attacking influence though so I'd rather have a proper 3rd centre back on the pitch allowing Cucu to play as the LWB.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
We sold two of our best centre halves and didn’t replace them. The decision to sell Burn I can sort of accept as it seems it was his dream move but to not bring Van Hecke or Clarke back from loan as cover was arrogant or ignorant.

We are so much better suited to three at the back but cannot play it due to injuries and loss of form (Duffy). As a result two of our best attacking options are nullified.

Bloom and Potter simply got this one wrong and we are paying the price. If we drop 5/6 places in the end of season table that loss of prize money wipes out the money from Burn. Really baffling stuff.

You're right. Horrendous cock up in the transfer window, but we are where we are.

We should recall Duffy and play 3 at the back. Lamptey and Cucu, right up the field out wide. March in the front line instead of Trossard

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We've rather stuffed ourselves at the back. We haven't got a big enough pool of CBs to regularly play three at the back, with wingbacks - definately the best formation for us....... and we haven't got the FBs to play a conventional back four - Cucurella and especially Lamptey are wingbacks rather than out and out full backs. Our only real RB is Veltman - and we need him to make up the numbers in the CB department!
At the time, BDB going to his boyhood club was a heartwarming sort of story (though I thought we should have held out for £20M or forget it) but with hindsight it's looking like a season-changing mistake now.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Lamptey pushed up more in the second half as we went to more of a back 3/5 at times with Cucurella being the third centre back and March moving to LWB. This negates Cucurella's attacking influence though so I'd rather have a proper 3rd centre back on the pitch allowing Cucu to play as the LWB.

Agreed Cucu is not LCB It negates his best attributes
If Duffers is not the answer in a 3 Perhaps Roberts or one of the other youngsters is ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agreed Cucu is not LCB It negates his best attributes
If Duffers is not the answer in a 3 Perhaps Roberts or one of the other youngsters is ?

Potter seems very reluctant to put Roberts in - he wasn't even in the squad yesterday as he played for the U23s on Friday. Suspect he is due for a loan out next season, hopefully more successful than his time at Rochdale (which wasn't bad, but it wasn't a Ben White either).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here